Major Wine....

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major Wine..Pics Added

We got the gears changed out today and did our best to get things lineup right. Nice smooth rotation by hand and with the engine while still up on blocks.
No noise at all in both cases.

Drives down the road good, but has a major wine on deceleration. If I take it out of gear during decel the wine goes from Major to 'almost' completely disappearing. I know I will have to pull her back apart but any idea's on where to start looking?

Thank you
Joe.

Last edited by Barfly; 07-25-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:52 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

pinion depth, is my guess, wen you put gears in you want the pinion and ring gear to ride in the center of each others teeth. witch is the purpose of layout dye/ink sounds like the depth is deep enough,
Old 07-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1966sportfury
pinion depth, is my guess, wen you put gears in you want the pinion and ring gear to ride in the center of each others teeth. witch is the purpose of layout dye/ink sounds like the depth is deep enough,
Sounds like the depth is "not" deep enough ?

Thanks
Joe.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:15 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

Originally Posted by Barfly
Sounds like the depth is "not" deep enough ?

Thanks
Joe.
yeah thats what i ment i skipped a word lol,
Old 07-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Mopar Fanatic

I know, it was kinda dumb to ask you. But it does make sense to me as this if there was any part of the install I was uncomfortable with it was that.

If nothing else I learned a lot today.

If I can get rid of that wine I think I will be happy with the way the truck runs. She still dies when I punch it so no burning the tire off yet but the time in 1st gear is way shorter and 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd she really acts like she wants to chirp the tires. 2nd gear is nothing but astounding, a real carnival ride!

Back at it tomorrow

Joe.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Mopar Lover

Location: Michigan: The First Line of Defense From The Canadians!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dont get discouraged! Pinion set-up is considered a "black-art" by most folks. Part science, part feel, part magic! I commend you for having the ***** to do it yourself! So the first one didnt go so well, big deal! You now know more than I do! Through online stuff on U-tube, I know how to do it. But havent tried.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:49 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 117 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by scotts74birds
Dont get discouraged! Pinion set-up is considered a "black-art" by most folks. Part science, part feel, part magic! I commend you for having the ***** to do it yourself! So the first one didnt go so well, big deal! You now know more than I do! Through online stuff on U-tube, I know how to do it. But havent tried.

Hey Joe, I agree with scotts74birds..... Stay with it... You will make that whine disappear before you know it.....
Old 07-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Thank you for your support guy's.

I adjusted the side to side of the carrier today. And I believe I made progress however the winning is still there. I know SF has recommended looking into the pinion adjustment and so I did. I found there is back and forth play, maybe 3/16" to a 1/4" Oooch I know. But I also find that the pinion nut is as darn tight as I can get it. But in talking around Ive been told that the crush sleeve is no push over and to just get a bigger cheater Sooooo...... back at it again tomorrow!

Here are some pictures of the gear alignment, any thoughts on these would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Before today's adjustment, forward rotation;

Before today's adjustment, reverse rotation;

After today's adjustment, forward rotation;

After today's adjustment, reverse rotation;
Old 07-25-2010, 07:14 PM
A.K.A Bob Dodge

looks like you nailed it!!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Are there any good books on changing rear ends? I've changed a carrier once with the help of a flat table depth mics, and a lot of calculation, and a great deal of luck.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Mopar Fanatic

I don't know about books, but I can tell ya when you do your search on youtube don't search for differential so much as searching for "Ring and Pinion" or "Pinion Gear" or "Ring Gear". I did a lot of Google and Youtube searches for "Differential" before I caught on.

We never got rid of the wine, now I'm trying scare up the money to have it fixed at the repair shop. Swallowing my pride and just getting it done!

Races are on the 13th of next month!

Can't wait!!!

Joe.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:17 AM

new ring and pinions have depth markings on the gears did you set the depth by those is it a dana or something else? i have built many dana 60s and 8.75. how did you check the depth?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Joe,
Your backlash looks good but your pinion is too deep into the ring gear. You need to remove some pinion shims, maybe 15 thousands.

Here are a few links, and very good to keep on hand (I've got them plastic wrapped and in a binder in my garage next to where I rebuild axles), that can help you out.

I don't know how I missed this thread til now.

Originally Posted by Buffalojoe426
Are there any good books on changing rear ends?
http://www.yukongear.com/Downloads/T...structions.pdf

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/
Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Mopar Fanatic

the truck is in the shop getting the rear end gears adjusted as I type this. Crossing my fingers I did not screw things up too much

Thank you for the comments and links guys.
Joe.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:52 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Wow, finally the gears are in there and working right!
Still a little noisey but at least they don't sound like they are about to fly apart anymore. Now for the fun stuff, getting ready for the strip next weekend...... gosh I love this stuff!
Old 08-07-2010, 05:15 AM
Admin

When you changed the gears, did you install new bearings are reuse the old ones? Did the shop install new bearings? Did they give you all the spics on it after they set it up (backlash, pinion depth, pinion bearing preload, etc)? What condition were/are the gears that are in there now? Did the shop inspect them for wear?

When you run a set of gears with the pinion too deep and/or the backlash too tight, it can (and usually does) cause excessive wear to the ring gear and pinion. This can cause the whine that you are hearing.

Edit: Sorry for all the questions Joe, just want to help you figure out why you still have a noise. It can/will only get worse over time.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:44 AM
Mopar Fanatic

The gear we used were from a '94 rear end, but they looked to be in good shape.

We reused the old bearings.
The shop did inspect the bearings and did not install new ones.
No, they did not give me the setup specs.
He did inspect the gears and said I had not done any damage to them, but they did show some wear.

I had only but around 15 or so miles on them before parking the truck and waiting to have them adjusted properly.

The guy at the shop told me 'before' taking the truck to him that when putting old gears in a different housing there will be noise. "I could work on them for 3 days and never get all the noise out". He said had I gotten new gears they could be adjusted properly and there would be no noise, but with old gears I could never get the exact mesh again and there will always be some noise.

The problem he found was I had not tightened the pinion down enough and the crush sleeve well, was not crushed Also I had the carrier mal adjusted due to the pinion having to much play. I think this is what you are calling "backlash" ?

I am surely glad I did not go with a larger ratio. The 3.55's give the truck a real torque feeling and have increased the speed of the truck immensely. However in the 55-60 mph range the engine rpm's have increased by 600 and I'm already noticing the fuel mileage decrease, of course I've had my foot in the carb quite a bit to I think any larger like the 3.90 ratio would have been way to much.

My speedo was 10 mph slow with the 2.71 ratio, this I tested. Now with the 3.55's I think it's a little fast maybe by 5 mph but it's closer for sure.

The guy charged me $135 to do what he did, be that to much or a great deal..... the gears are in there and we'll be racing this coming Friday night!! Thanks to everyone for there help, recommendations and comments.

This is a great board you have here Tim and a great bunch of guys!
Joe.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:53 AM
Admin

Joe,

I'm glad that everything worked out for you. What is next in store for upgrades? Sure Grip? Turbo? SUPERCHARGER!?!?!?!

As far this goes:
The guy at the shop told me 'before' taking the truck to him that when putting old gears in a different housing there will be noise. "I could work on them for 3 days and never get all the noise out". He said had I gotten new gears they could be adjusted properly and there would be no noise, but with old gears I could never get the exact mesh again and there will always be some noise.
I've set up used gears in different housing for people and have never heard any noise. I've even done it in a few of my own axles, and heard nothing. You just have to be extra **** when it comes to gear setup for a street vehicle.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:01 AM
Mopar Fanatic

yes I'm sure your right, it could be done.
He probably looked at the truck and me and did a quick financial assessment and figured he would do what he could with what he had and what I could pay
Old 08-08-2010, 04:04 AM
Admin

Thumbs up

Make sure someone gets a video or two of you making some passes. We'd love to see them along with times/speeds.