Painting

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting

Quick question. I am almost ready to paint my 68 Newport, maybe another week to go. My question is what primer would be the best to use if I was just going to leave it primer. I am a big fan of the primed look. I was looking at eastwood.com and found a kit that comes with 2 gallons of epoxy primer and the catalyst to go with both gallons for $95. I do want to eventually do satin black which eastwood also sells and is a urethane paint that says it doesn't require a clear coat. Need some help on this. Some people have told me to go with an epoxy primer as I do have some filler on both the bottoms of the rear quarters and front fender bottoms. So basically I want to know what is the best choice to leave it primer and what is the best choice to do primer then paint.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
The nice thing about flat and satin finishes is that little defects don't show up as much as they would if you were to have a glossy finish.

With that said, I would still work on getting those defects out as much as you possibly can as you may later on change your mind on the finish of the paint (may be next month or years down the road).

I would use an epoxy primer as it will help to fill in the very small defects. Also, don't forget to wet sand in between coats as this will help to hide more of them and while you'll have a dull finish, it can still be very smooth.
The following users liked this post:
mrzods13 (07-04-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by 78D200
The nice thing about flat and satin finishes is that little defects don't show up as much as they would if you were to have a glossy finish.

With that said, I would still work on getting those defects out as much as you possibly can as you may later on change your mind on the finish of the paint (may be next month or years down the road).

I would use an epoxy primer as it will help to fill in the very small defects. Also, don't forget to wet sand in between coats as this will help to hide more of them and while you'll have a dull finish, it can still be very smooth.
Great thanks for the help I will be getting the epoxy primer from eastwood, can't beat the price for 2 gallons with the hardener. Thanks again.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by mrzods13
Great thanks for the help I will be getting the epoxy primer from eastwood, can't beat the price for 2 gallons with the hardener. Thanks again.

Hey buddy- I would love to see pics of the finished product of your paint job. I too am at the stage of painting a 68 Newport. Thinking original, but open to ideas.