2000 Chrysler Voyager minivan runs rough

Old 09-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Chrysler Voyager minivan runs rough

Seems like when the minivan gets hot then it has issues starting. If I get it started then it grovels or runs rough and I can't get it to rev up. If it does get going down the road it may stall. Getting engine light on when going from 7000' down to sea level or close to sea level. I have a scanner but my mechanic says that those cheap scanners can screw things up. He has a more exensive scanner that works well. We were getting codes for misfires.
So we have checked the wire harness and it looks good. Changed out the squeaky serpentine belt. Checked the cam sensor and cleaned it. Put in a new heat sensor. Put in a new fuel filter with the fuel filter lines on it. This fuel filter new has three lines coming off of it and you have to lower the gas tank to install the thing. I was getting some black stuff out of the old filter.
So gonna drive it to see if it does it any more. Any ideas on why this minivan is doing this? It only has 73,000 miles on it.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Smile

of coarse emissions can be tricky i would also check the o-2 sensor and check the cats to see if they are in need of replacing
the only reason i mentioned the cats is because before i swapped motors in my fifth ave the cats where worn and the would glow red after a drive you could smell the heat it had many of the symptoms your motor has a mechanic friend of mine who is more knowledgeable than me in emissions said they needed to be replaced 3 of them well that was over 700.00 so i installed a set of headers and ran the lean burn for about a month before the swap no problems
Old 09-30-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did you mean by this: "so i installed a set of headers and ran the lean burn for about a month before the swap no problems "

So two weeks ago I replace the fuel filter and it ran nice until yesterday. I drove it then parked it in the garage for a half hour, started it and it groveled again or idled rough then I pulled out of the driveway and it stalled. I started it went a block and could not get any reving up of the motor. So when I hit the throttle petal it did not rev at all. A block later it recovered and I just drove it back into the garage and parked it.

So apparantly it was not the fuel filter I suppose.

I have put some Lucas fuel injector cleaner in it as well. My code checker was only about $35 on Ebay. My fuel pressure is around 27 PSI but was about 20 before I changed the filter. My mechanic says that is should be around 30.

Last edited by jonnyb; 09-30-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
Have you cleaned the throttle body ? What about the throttle position sensor ? & or Map sensor the computer may not see the vacuum drop