Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 Sportsman Rv 440 mystery electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 10:03 PM

Location: Central Coast of California along PCH Hwy 1 on Point Conception
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
76 Sportsman Rv 440 mystery electrical problems

just got a mint 76 sportsman with 440 4 bbl. It was stored for yrs and quickly went thru several owners due to incomprehensible electrical issues. Several people have jumped wires installed wrong parts ripped out Wiring ECT. I'm an eclectral engineering consultant and I've never seen so many problems tied together. Is there a common problem we aren't seeing with the B300 RV conversion? It has the 4 wire upgrade alternator and the electronic distributor not points. The Ballast resistor is removed as dodge instructs it's only needed with points. The pigtail voltage is only 7 and the ohms to and from the ecm are in spec. The voltage and ohms on every part from key switch to the lean burn controller smog equip to the coil to the converter switch heat sink and even the headlight backup light high beam and hazard light relays even change voltage constantly even with several different new batterys new starter and all new cables..... when it does fire it only runs about half power anything above idle. The problem started when it was purchased ran fantastic. Got home and the metal fuel tank selector switch was just touched not flipped and the motor shut off. Wouldn't fire consentantly again even after replacing most components. There has to be something we are missing. A dead short? Positive Ground situation I don't know Hahahaha any experts out there? I sure as hell am NO expert on this twilight zone problem. LoL thanx ~Stryker~