Complete electrical dead mystery

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Complete electrical dead mystery

Hi folks,
I'm new to the forums & am desperate for answers.

I have a 1998 Dodge Neon 2DR sport model with DOHC. Recently it began powering off completely - even headlights & hazards - while driving. Have to wait for it to reset itself before any electric works. Reset is anywhere from 1 second to hours. Resets even the radio, time, etc. it's like all electric is gone then it all starts right back normal. What can this be? The headlight, turn signals, horn, everything dead. Then suddenly its all normal. Can start & run it until it does it again.

Aftermarket items that have been on it since new: Clifford ignition interrupt device set to valet mode. All else is original or repaired mopar. Car had PCM update in 1998.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Welcome!

What do you reset? You would have to reset something or everything would start working again?
Old 04-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Administrator with a large ban hammer !

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Welcome, first thing you will need is a FSM with wiring diagrams ( I can provide that if you need it.) it sounds like you have a bad splice somewhere in the harness. My '06 T&C had a similar problem. Is it throwing any codes? Try letting the car idle, grab hold of the large harness under the PDC (fuse box by the battery) and shake it/tug it etc. to see if you can force a shutdown. If that works, there may be a bad splice in one of the ground wires which means opening the harness and inspecting each splice. Start there and if that doesn't work, we can dig deeper.
The following users liked this post:
98_Neon_Sport (04-20-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by 78D200
Welcome!

What do you reset? You would have to reset something or everything would start working again?
I'm not resetting anything. I'm sitting in the car just waiting for the electric to come back: fan, clock, radio, horn, headlights, hazards, etc.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:01 PM

Question

Originally Posted by mr340
Welcome, first thing you will need is a FSM with wiring diagrams ( I can provide that if you need it.) it sounds like you have a bad splice somewhere in the harness. My '06 T&C had a similar problem. Is it throwing any codes? Try letting the car idle, grab hold of the large harness under the PDC (fuse box by the battery) and shake it/tug it etc. to see if you can force a shutdown. If that works, there may be a bad splice in one of the ground wires which means opening the harness and inspecting each splice. Start there and if that doesn't work, we can dig deeper.
Towed it to the mechanic. Waiting for diagnostic codes on PCM. When it was dead, I tugged & wiggled wires all along the topside of engine. Nothing made any difference. I didn't try under dash. Will let you know if mechanic finds anything. First time it happened -- 2 weeks ago -- drove to mechanic & had him get all over wires above & below & all were tight & power never cut off for him. He said, "wait till it dies, tow it in, then I can find it." It died today & got towed.

I'm half-convinced it was the Progressive Snapshot Device that messed with my PCM or with the Clifford interrupt device.

But really: what can singlehandedly disable power to every component of the car all at once?
Old 04-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
It could be a simple as bad/dirty battery connections or a bad ground. Check around the washer solvent jug Ive seen many cars with corroided wires in this area causing the same problem...
Old 04-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Sounds like a bulged splice that when exposed is all white powder. usually not far from the battery when there is one. Good luck finding it though.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:13 PM

Question

Originally Posted by pro-tech
It could be a simple as bad/dirty battery connections or a bad ground. Check around the washer solvent jug Ive seen many cars with corroided wires in this area causing the same problem...
Already checked batter cables. All tight & clean.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
I would try it WITHOUT the clifford alarm
Old 04-20-2013, 10:27 AM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by TVLynn
I would try it WITHOUT the clifford alarm
Hi. I thought I'd update you & thank you for the kind help.

I spoke with mechanic & told him about the Snapshot device that had been plugged into the diagnostic port below the dash. He went back to the car & removed all power to it. He let it set without battery until the PCM was able to reset & clear its memory. Then the car started right up and ran fine all day without any stalls or issues.

Word to the wise: beware of Snapshot devices. I've contacted Progressive & now have an adjuster to see about my claim against their device. Mechanic indicated that their device caused the error. Now I have to submit the receipts and wait for them to review my claim. The 2% discount was not worth the time nor the hassle.