I need a reality check, can you help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:24 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I need a reality check, can you help?

Some of my earliest memories are riding around with my big brother in his 71 Satellite Sebring. I was running the thought through my head of trying to pick one up. What type of ball park could I expect this project to run. I don't figure I could afford a full restoration but would like to make it streetable. Would this be a good vehicle for me to make my first classic rebuild? Would body work to make it a track car be easier if facing large amounts of rust? Is there a good reliable source for me to educate myself on the Satellite models around that era? TIA
Old 03-28-2015, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 498 Likes on 480 Posts
I've been building cars for most of forty years and the best advice I can give is start with the most solid complete car you can find and afford. Most of the time the money spent upfront will be saved twofold in the end. A good example is body work, at $50 to $70 per hr. it doesn't take much to justify paying up for a solid body. It's the same with the drivetrain, motor builds 7k to 10+, transmissions 2k+ etc., so if you can find what you want with a good drivetrain your money ahead. The other thing is missing parts, grills, moldings, emblems and body sheet metal can be hard to find and expensive if you do. so try to get a project as complete as possible it will save you in the long run.

The last customer build I did was a 55 Chevy, a rusty POS, I had 1700 hrs. in paint and bodywork.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:44 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 870 Likes on 849 Posts
Good Advice rite there.... Check Hemmimgs motor news.... Get a good one..

>>>> http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/..._feature1.html

Last edited by RacerHog; 03-28-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:24 PM
Mopar Fanatic

I should have specified before but to me paying somebody to rebuild the vehicle for me loses all the pleasures of personal accomplishment. The work would be done by brother and myself and hopefully his dad if we get in over our heads. Looks like the reality is about 10-15K to get into these. I am looking forward to taking our skills to the next level and our recent partial floor pan replacement in brothers XJ has me believing we can. Shopping online I found one for $3,000 as an example but in reality I am at least a year out to tackle a new build.
http://cars.oodle.com/detail/1972-pl...-www-_-NA-_-NA
Hemmings has some nice rides but I would be broke with no new project with something that nice.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:02 PM
Mopar Lover

Well Once you have some money in hand and a place to put the car... Then you are ready to look and wheel and deal....
Until then you can just start penciling what you want to do and getting resources.
Sounds like a Job for the Dog. "Mali-what-ever-it-is-lol" on this site when the time comes...

Last edited by RacerHog; 03-28-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 498 Likes on 480 Posts
Originally Posted by xaza
I should have specified before but to me paying somebody to rebuild the vehicle for me loses all the pleasures of personal accomplishment. The work would be done by brother and myself and hopefully his dad if we get in over our heads. Looks like the reality is about 10-15K to get into these. I am looking forward to taking our skills to the next level and our recent partial floor pan replacement in brothers XJ has me believing we can. Shopping online I found one for $3,000 as an example but in reality I am at least a year out to tackle a new build.
http://cars.oodle.com/detail/1972-pl...-www-_-NA-_-NA
Hemmings has some nice rides but I would be broke with no new project with something that nice.
This might be a good place to start, southern cars should have less rust than a Co. car.

Last edited by Iowan; 03-28-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:36 PM
Mopar Lover

There could be some truth to that...
Old 03-28-2015, 04:50 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
You would be better off spending $10K for a decent example $3K is a rust bucket or one someone has already used as a parts car...
Old 03-29-2015, 05:56 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by RacerHog
Until then you can just start penciling what you want to do and getting resources.
Yep that is the stage I am at. Gathering information and knowledge. I am notoriously slow to make a decision at times, took 2 years to get roof and siding replaced on the house, which is why I am starting this far out.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Before you start on any car especially the one you desire be aware of the "Mopar Tax". It's not a real tax per sea but a serious markup on all parts Mopar. Other makes of cars that are North American seem to use parts that are 1/3 the price, Chevy's come to mind. I suppose the price of parts is related to availability and some C bodies are almost impossible to find certain parts for. Restoration of Chrysler cars is expensive so I would agree that paying more up front for a decent vehicle, even a mostly restored one, is a good idea - in the long run it's easier on the wallet and saves a lot of frustration sourcing parts.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Mopar Fanatic

I am really feeling the restoration style may not be for me, but it makes total sense to buy it as complete as possible and save the tough search for parts. Perhaps a good way to go once I have honed my skills and increased my patience. What about the route of a street legal strip car? There would obviously be a large amount of coin dropped into motor and aftermarket parts which I have a million questions but will search a little before asking. As far as body work and and cage. With a lean toward safety versus clean original look. Would this be a better way to learn? Is there a car that might be a better choice for my first muscle car? Pretty stuck on wanting Mopar though.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:48 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
The biggest problem you face with trying to build a Satellite is that a lot of people are buying them and making RR clones so it drives the price way up. I have seen complete junk and they ask huge money for it.. And that is the name of the game and it sucks...Good Luck in your search hope you get lucky...Bill