General Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nice car but "manual automatic" pushbutton...??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice car but "manual automatic" pushbutton...??

So, I'm looking at this car on ebay, a really nice looking 63 Sport Fury, and listening the video walkaround where the guy says it has a manual-automatic, pushbutton transmission. He says you push the buttons to shift, but without a clutch. Huh?

I message the guy to explain to him that it's a normal torqueflite automatic transmission and the only difference is the linkage; buttons vs. shift lever.

He responds back with "Actually you do have to shift it manually. You start in drive then push for second then first. It's a blast to drive!! It is a automatic but you still have to go through the gears just no clutch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TorqueFlite"

How can someone who sells cars for a living be so clueless on something so basic??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270988040...t_34029wt_1140
Old 06-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by polyspherical

How can someone who sells cars for a living be so clueless on something so basic??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/270988040...t_34029wt_1140
Well he IS a salesman... I did notice the car has sub-frame connectors of sorts on it, but didnt watch the vid. But maybe a manual valve body? But if so he's always down shifting!! Wonder if he has just pushed the D button and tried to just drive the car?

Last edited by MrOldart2U; 06-01-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
It just might be that he is "somewhat" correct

MAYBE he's one of these guys who "doesn't understand"

IF the car has a reverse pattern manual valve body, THAT IS EXACTLY how the car will shift, IE

Drive will be first gear, the 2 button will be 2nd gear, and the 1 button will be 3rd gear

This was popular with "push button" drag racers to prevent hitting neutral or reverse during a race, as you were moving away from N/R as you progress

I myself run a reverse pattern manual body in my Dart, and I just love it. I wish I'd had one back in my "daily driver" days in the winter. Ford autos (once had a 78 Ferd LTD II, known as the "SKUD missile")

On the Ferd autos, when you put the shifter in "2" it is LOCKED in "2" unlike the Mopars/ GMs of the time, which shifted from 1 to 2 when placed in "2" Up here in the winter, I used that "2" position in that Ford to great advantage.

The manual valve bodies are same, IE "locked" in whatever single gear you place the shifter.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 440roadrunner
It just might be that he is "somewhat" correct

MAYBE he's one of these guys who "doesn't understand"

IF the car has a reverse pattern manual valve body, THAT IS EXACTLY how the car will shift, IE

Drive will be first gear, the 2 button will be 2nd gear, and the 1 button will be 3rd gear

This was popular with "push button" drag racers to prevent hitting neutral or reverse during a race, as you were moving away from N/R as you progress

I myself run a reverse pattern manual body in my Dart, and I just love it. I wish I'd had one back in my "daily driver" days in the winter. Ford autos (once had a 78 Ferd LTD II, known as the "SKUD missile")

On the Ferd autos, when you put the shifter in "2" it is LOCKED in "2" unlike the Mopars/ GMs of the time, which shifted from 1 to 2 when placed in "2" Up here in the winter, I used that "2" position in that Ford to great advantage.

The manual valve bodies are same, IE "locked" in whatever single gear you place the shifter.
Ah, reverse pattern manual valve body. That would make sense. Great for racing, but personally, I'd have it put back to original.
Thanks for that. I feel better now.