Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmisson noises

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmisson noises

I have a 65 coronet and my promlem is when I put the car into gear it makes a loud sound and jolts the car in the direction of gear, but when driving the transmissions fine,no sounds. any ideas what it couls be?it has enough tranny fluid in it.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1 you might have a bad "yoke" on the rear or trans [or a loose yoke/pinion nut]
2 the tranny may have some bad or sticking parts [valvebody, accumulator etc]
3 bad trans mount
4 Engine idling too high
5 universal joints
Old 03-09-2009, 02:22 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
If the tranny jolts the vehicle i the direction (either backwards or forwards) then your idle is too high (about 95% of the time). If you hear a loud noise, then look into your tranny mounts, engine mounts, u-joints and yokes on your tranny and rear end. Pretty much what moparguy said.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
simple check, with the car of get under it and grab the drive shaft and try to twist it back and forth while its in park, if it moves at all then the joints are bad. if it doesnt move and theres fresh oil all over the back of the trans or around the rearend where the drive shaft bolts up is oily then the yokes are bad, grab the back of the trans tail shaft, try to move it back and forth then up and down, if it moves more then 1/4 in in any direction then the tranny mounts baad. pop the hood, adn place a floor jack on the bottom of the oil pan then start to lift the motor slowly, look at the sides of the motoryoull see black mounts rubber bolted to metal plates. as you lift the motor, watch the rubber pcs. if they crack or seperate from the plates, then the motor mounts are bad. If your motor is idling more then 12oo r.p.m.s then the clank is from the idle being too high. if you dont know how to work on cars then id advise taking it to a tech to get that right.