Water in the oil - my first head gasket change? 318 Dodge W100

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water in the oil - my first head gasket change? 318 Dodge W100

First let me state I am a newbie but I do have a decent idea of what is going on. I just get a bit confused with what sort of things to look for when trying to see how everything is working. Im not a mechanic by any means and I am doing this alone as I do not have many friends nor do I know anyone who does this sort of stuff.
Im looking for some people to help guide me through this issue.

I bought a 76 Dodge W100 Power Wagon with a 318. The orig 318 was 'tired but working' which is now taken apart in the back of the truck. I did this to learn what was what and to prepare me for what is coming.

The 318 in the truck runs great except I had major water in the oil. Thought it was from sitting all those years but after an oil flush and cleaning PVC, the issue persisted - it is pretty bad too.

Decided I would do a head gasket change. I got the intake off tonight.

All I know is I have oil all over the hood when I let it run for a while and I think its because the pressure built up and blew the dipstick up and the fan blew it around. I do not see any leaks from gaskets directly.

Anyway, thought I would share pictures and ask for some opinions. I see a lot of rust on the rockers, I assume from condensation and/or the water from getting on it and the truck sitting for so long.

I am not looking to rebuild this engine to any sort of performance machine as its a 318 and Id rather just get it back on the road working decently while I save some $$$ and start planning a 360 stroker or something along those lines so please provide feedback with that in mind. Just want to get it back on the road for another 10-20k and then I'll swap it with a crate or something. I also have another 76 Power Wagon with a 400 that is running but needs some electrical work. I was planning to restore it but found this one was in so much better condition I had to get both
Cheers guys

Not much space to work

Me - my first engine tear down

1976 Dodge Power Wagon

Interior is in excellent condition

You can see my other 76 Power Wagon in the background - its a 400ci full size bed. It needs some electrical stuff but other than that its pretty good as well

Built the box to stand on and store stuff as Im short

The numbers matching engine came with the truck as well so I took it apart to learn

Original heads from the numbers matching engine

Took the intake off the engine in the truck tonight

The intake and 2-barrel carb from the current engine

RUST on the rockers - looks like I will need to do more than I wanted

The seller threw in a 4-barrel carb came with the truck as well. I also have a 4-barrel Edelbrock carb

It looks to me as if the lifters are only touching on side of the cam shaft?
Old 12-21-2018, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 498 Likes on 480 Posts
Blowing the dipstick out is the clue, I'd say you have broken or stuck rings or there just ***** out. I had a 360 in a pickup that did the same thing, twenty miles on the highway and the dipstick was six inches out of the tube and there was oil on the bottom of the hood. The 360 needed a complete overhaul. To much blow by, you 318 is pumping compression into the crankcase.
Good luck
Old 12-21-2018, 05:49 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
I agree on the blow by for the crankcase pressure..... But how did the water get into the crankcase???????? Or have you found that issue yet?