340 timing

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
340 timing

ok i,m confused i got my 340 10 degrees before top dead center when i drop the distributor in does it matter which cap hole i make number 1 on the cap i thought that the rotor has to point towards the number 1 cyl on eng. Am i wrong. i was gonna put the rotor just past one of the distr cap holes and drop it in and call that number one but if i do that that rotor could point anywhere.thanks for any info
Old 10-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well never tried that just always put the number one wire where it belongs ! If the tip of the distributor doesn't line up use a long screw driver and put it in the slot and turn it back wile lifting on the gear it should back right up and get it to where you need it to point to # 1 . This is what I needed to do to install the gm stile hei distributor as it did not match the oem location of the tip ! Good luck !
Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
The no1 cylinder must be on the compression stroke, and the no1 wire must go to wherever the rotor points. If the rotor is NOT pointing to the "by the book" no 1 cap tower, it will run fine, but if you want to do it correctly it simply is not that difficult and takes VERY little time

To time a SB Mopar:

1--- Determine that no1 is on the firing stroke and there are two ways to do that. If either valve cover is still off, look at either the no1 or no6 valves, with the timing marks on TDC. IF both no1 valves are closed, no1 is ready to fire (compression) and if no6 valves are both closed, then no6 is ready to fire. BE CAREFUL because the opposite two will be nearly equally open (used to be called "split overlap) and it can fool you

The alternate way to determine compression, is to remove no1 plug, stick you finger in the hole, and either bump it on the starter, or wrench it around until you BEGIN to feel compression. You may need to go around once to be sure. When you start to feel compression, pay attention to the timing mark, and slowly bring the engine up NOT to TDC but to where you want the timing, IE 10-12 with a bone stock cam, or 15-20 with a hot cam

2---If there is any reason to suspect the distributor gear is in wrong, or this is a new build, bring the marks to TDC, and check the position of the slot in the gear. IT should point to the far left (drivers side) front intake manifold bolt, which is a close as you'll get to "straight ahead." If it does NOT, as the poster above suggested, just take a big screwdriver and "walk" the gear up out of the helix, and correct it

3---(If you performed step 2, back the engine up with a wrench about 1/8 turn, and bring the marks back NOT to TDC, but where you want the timing.)

Next, with the rotor pointing towards the area of the "by the book" no1 hole, and the vacuum can "in the clear away from the firewall, drop the distributor in. By rotating the distributor body, you should reach a point where the vacuum can is clear of the coil and the firewall, and the rotor is pointing to the no1 cap tower

4---Now, if you have points ignition, use a test lamp or ohmeter, rotate the dist. RETARD (cw) and move it slowly ADVANCE (ccw) until the points just open

If you have breakerless set the dist. so that the reluctor tip is centered in the pickup coil.

5---Start the engine!!!! Notice that I did not say, "prepare for fire out of the carburetor," nor did I say "screw endlessly with the distributor for hours on end."

If you followed this correctly the engine should start!!! and run!!!!

6---Now take your timing light and adjust the timing as necessary.

Some aside:

I ALWAYS, on an unknown engine, CHECK actual TDC accuracy. To do this, get, buy, or make a piston stop.

Like this:

Remove the no1 plug, make sure the piston is down, and remove the battery ground. Install the device, and wrench the engine gently over until the piston stops against the device. Make an accurate, temporary mark directly under 0 (TDC) on you timing tab, onto the balancer.

Now do the exact same rotating the engine CCW

Now you'll have TWO temporary marks, and true TDC will be 1/2 way between. If your old mark is accurate, that is where it will be.

You should also either get the proper size timing tape, or mark your balancer so you can see what your timing curve is doing. Measure all the way around the balancer, accurately, with a small flexible tape. Calculate how many inches per degrees it takes to work out 40*, carefully measure that off with the tape, and mark the wheel. Use a small square and a scribe, and carefully deepen the mark with a small file. I used to do this lying on my back looking up at the wheel, easier than bending over on my head.

Now you can take dividers and divide the 40 in half for 20, half again for 10. Then use your ten setting to mark 50, 60* which will be needed for checking vacuum advance. You can get as fussy as you want, but 5* marks are really all you need. You can get an idea of your accuracy, by rotating any two marks under the timing tab, and checking if they line up at 10ATC, 10BTC, etc.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 440roadrunner
The no1 cylinder must be on the compression stroke, and the no1 wire must go to wherever the rotor points. If the rotor is NOT pointing to the "by the book" no 1 cap tower, it will run fine, but if you want to do it correctly it simply is not that difficult and takes VERY little time

To time a SB Mopar:

1--- Determine that no1 is on the firing stroke and there are two ways to do that. If either valve cover is still off, look at either the no1 or no6 valves, with the timing marks on TDC. IF both no1 valves are closed, no1 is ready to fire (compression) and if no6 valves are both closed, then no6 is ready to fire. BE CAREFUL because the opposite two will be nearly equally open (used to be called "split overlap) and it can fool you

The alternate way to determine compression, is to remove no1 plug, stick you finger in the hole, and either bump it on the starter, or wrench it around until you BEGIN to feel compression. You may need to go around once to be sure. When you start to feel compression, pay attention to the timing mark, and slowly bring the engine up NOT to TDC but to where you want the timing, IE 10-12 with a bone stock cam, or 15-20 with a hot cam

2---If there is any reason to suspect the distributor gear is in wrong, or this is a new build, bring the marks to TDC, and check the position of the slot in the gear. IT should point to the far left (drivers side) front intake manifold bolt, which is a close as you'll get to "straight ahead." If it does NOT, as the poster above suggested, just take a big screwdriver and "walk" the gear up out of the helix, and correct it

3---(If you performed step 2, back the engine up with a wrench about 1/8 turn, and bring the marks back NOT to TDC, but where you want the timing.)

Next, with the rotor pointing towards the area of the "by the book" no1 hole, and the vacuum can "in the clear away from the firewall, drop the distributor in. By rotating the distributor body, you should reach a point where the vacuum can is clear of the coil and the firewall, and the rotor is pointing to the no1 cap tower

4---Now, if you have points ignition, use a test lamp or ohmeter, rotate the dist. RETARD (cw) and move it slowly ADVANCE (ccw) until the points just open

If you have breakerless set the dist. so that the reluctor tip is centered in the pickup coil.

5---Start the engine!!!! Notice that I did not say, "prepare for fire out of the carburetor," nor did I say "screw endlessly with the distributor for hours on end."

Some aside:

I ALWAYS, on an unknown engine, CHECK actual TDC accuracy. To do this, get, buy, or make a piston stop.

Like this:

Remove the no1 plug, make sure the piston is down, and remove the battery ground. Install the device, and wrench the engine gently over until the piston stops against the device. Make an accurate, temporary mark directly under 0 (TDC) on you timing tab, onto the balancer.

Now you'll have TWO temporary marks, and true TDC will be 1/2 way between. If your old mark is accurate, that is where it will be.

You should also either get the proper size timing tape, or mark your balancer so you can see what your timing curve is doing. Measure all the way around the balancer, accurately, with a small flexible tape. Calculate how many inches per degrees it takes to work out 40*, carefully measure that off with the tape, and mark the wheel. Use a small square and a scribe, and carefully deepen the mark with a small file. I used to do this lying on my back looking up at the wheel, easier than bending over on my head.

Now you can take dividers and divide the 40 in half for 20, half again for 10. Then use your ten setting to mark 50, 60* which will be needed for checking vacuum advance. You can get as fussy as you want, but 5* marks are really all you need. You can get an idea of your accuracy, by rotating any two marks under the timing tab, and checking if they line up at 10ATC, 10BTC, etc.
Dammm 440roadrunner is good!!!! You got the right man on the job now willysman69.......I bet he has forgot more than most guys know...LOL
Old 10-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by oldiebutgoodie
Dammm 440roadrunner is good!!!! You got the right man on the job now willysman69.......I bet he has forgot more than most guys know...LOL
Thanks, but your 'barrassin' me LOL. That piston stop is one I made over 30 years ago!!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Dang 440, you take all the fun out of the equation.... Thought the cheap hair cuts, and the remainder of hair pulling out was the fun part....
Old 10-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Mopar Lover

Evidently the OP hasn't been back so all that work was for naught
Old 03-13-2013, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by willysman69
ok i,m confused i got my 340 10 degrees before top dead center when i drop the distributor in does it matter which cap hole i make number 1 on the cap i thought that the rotor has to point towards the number 1 cyl on eng. Am i wrong. i was gonna put the rotor just past one of the distr cap holes and drop it in and call that number one but if i do that that rotor could point anywhere.thanks for any info

not sure how to use this site yet,i just bought a 86 ramchr w 318 timming mark is on the pass side the tabs on the left the cap is correct 1 tdc
Old 03-13-2013, 07:28 PM

86,318 timming mark

i just replaced plugs,wires,cap rtr,the engine was popping threw the carb i found tdc,put the t lite on #1 and no mark the moter is running great except when i sut it off it tries to stay running kinda,i looked on the pass side and there is my mark?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by owen1
i just replaced plugs,wires,cap rtr,the engine was popping threw the carb i found tdc,put the t lite on #1 and no mark the moter is running great except when i sut it off it tries to stay running kinda,i looked on the pass side and there is my mark?
what is causing the t mark to be on the wrong side
Old 03-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
Mismatch between the cover & damper
Old 03-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Mopar Lover

You may have a slipped timing chain

Use a piston stop to check the marks, or to construct a new one
Old 03-21-2014, 10:49 PM
Mopar Lover

To time a SB Mopar:

Some aside:

Like this:

The following users liked this post:
RacerHog (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 05:05 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 118 Likes on 116 Posts
Evidently the OP hasn't been back so all that work was for naught

Nah, that's the magic of google; you'll help countless folks with that one.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Mopar Lover

To time a SB Mopar:

Some aside:

Like this: