'66 dart instrument panel and signals

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'66 dart instrument panel and signals

just got this car, runs pretty good, but the instrument panel don't work, even the speedo and the gas gauge, i don't think the speedo is the cable because its stuck at 70 and doesn't move, ever, just clicks a lot. and for the gas gauge, i have no idea! temp gauge of coarse don't work either, the amp. also is broken but the car has an after market amp. meter installed, however it would be nice to have all the original ones working. any idea's?

on to issue #2, only one brake light works, i haven't checked the bulbs yet, so that might be simple, however, none of the turn signals work, its possible there all blown, but seems like a coincidence if thats the case, will check it out tomorrow (not going to be home til dark today).

and a small question of annoyance, its a three speed on the column and when its in first gear the shifter is so far down it gets in my legs way for the gas, and stabs me while driving, is there a way to resolve this at all?

thanks for all the help, sorry to come with all this first day, however, i do have intentions on staying on this forum, i also have a dodge van, so there is multiple uses here for me.

EDIT: i forgot to add one more question, were can i get a gas cap for this car? mine dont have one, the guy left it at a gas station and im affraid for water, im in FL with hurricane season coming, lots of rain!

Last edited by gibson_es; 05-31-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:45 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
You can download "alternative" wiring diagrams here:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=18

Direct links:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1966/66DartA.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1966/66DartB.jpg

or you can download, for free, a complete factory shop manual from the same site:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/ser...ice_Manual.zip

First thing to be aware of on turn signals is the "obvious", that is, check the bulbs, connections, and grounds to the socket shells. Sometimes of these older cars, you really should solder an auxiliary wire to the shell and run it over to a clean bolt for a ground.

Also, are you aware that the brake lights go through the signal switch in the column. So if you check "everything else" and something in the front/ back does not work, it could be a switch problem. One common problem is that the brake lights do NOT work on one or both sides, but the signals do. If the column is getting the brake light signal from the brake light switch, but the rear lights don't work, often it is the column switch.

I'm not absolutely sure, but if none of the gauges work, it could be the "voltage limiter," and yours may be in the fuel gauge, not sure. Check that manual.

In any case, all of these cars have a deal that works sort of like a signal flasher that operates the oil/ temp/ fuel gauge. It cycles on/ off and effectively drops the gauge voltage to an approximate 50% duty cycle, or the equivalent of about 6 volts.

Many guys replace these with an electronic regulator.

Don't know anything about column shifters.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks a ton! I will see about it tomorrow and post my findings. That manual don't list the dart, is it still applicable? Maybe all the wiring is the same?
Old 08-17-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi I have a 66 too there is a voltage limiter if this is what I think it is on the back of the dash that plugs into the dash it is for the gauges !be careful when taking out the dash there r 2 plugs on the back side that have pins attached to the dash and if u are not careful they will break ! I undo the steering column from the dash 2 bolts drop it down the have to reach behind the dash and unplug and unscrew the cig lighter then move the plastic plate over to side or undo the temp arm heads ! Now u should see 2 screws for the dash remove and the 2 bye the door and start from the door side move the dash out and reach behind and start to remove the switched and then the plug I told u about then the speedo cable now u can pull the dash almost far enough to get two the other plug on the other side (be very careful cause if u break these pins u r looking at 126.00 for new plate )when u get the dash out take the screws out of the back of dash and see if someone put it together to tight and got the speedo needle stuck up against the glass ! and now ck all the dash lights cause they need to all work to make the connection to make everything work !
and on the gas gauge ck at the tank and see if you still have a ground strap that goes from the sending unit fuel line to the fuel line Its a clip on strap it jumps over the rubber hose and makes it ground ( I ran a ground wire to the sending unit to the frame
Old 08-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
There is also a big socket on the back of the inst cluster ALWAYS GOOD FOR BAD CONNECTIONS. Turn signals ? check the ground on the steering column mounting bolts