finally found a rochester qjet

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
finally found a rochester qjet

i have been searching at different junkyards all over the surrounding counties in search of a qjet or a tq 4bbl for my fifth ave with the 318. today when looking around in a local junkyard for lawnmower parts i found a late 80s ramcharger with a 360 and a qjet carb in it. i asked the owner who is a friend of mine what he would want for it and he said go get me a 12 pack. so i got this functioning qjet for 5.99 plus tax and deposit. i fired the truck up so i know it runs. actually when i revved it the frame broke. i may go back for the rest of the engine and 727 which i could have both for less than 100 bucks. the number on the carb is 17087175. it has 1 3/8 inch primaries and i believe mechanical secondaries. i was just wondering if this carb would be good on a 318 with a 4bbl intake and headers with a mopar performance ignition and a home port and polish. i was also wondering if anyone knew the approximate flow rate for this carb. the only problem is the choke control is busted on it but i can get one of those off a chevy qjet i believe.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:31 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
You should be fine installing it on your 318. The 360s in those didn't have much more power than the 318s, but with what you have on it, your probably at the 360 numbers.

I'm not sure about the flow rate though on that, but yest a choke of a c$@&y qjet should work as they were all made by the same company, just for different manufactors.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the choke linkage that goes from the primary choke plate to the linkage inside the carb fell out. any idea on how to put it back on. id hate to rebuild the carb if i dont have to
Old 05-30-2009, 07:08 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by craveman
the choke linkage that goes from the primary choke plate to the linkage inside the carb fell out. any idea on how to put it back on. id hate to rebuild the carb if i dont have to
do you remember the board game "OPERATION". If you do, than you have an idea of the difficulty level to get that choke rod back on. But seriosly the choke rod is attached to a lever that is attached to the shaft that is operated by the choke coil. Usually it is easier to have the carb removed from the vehicle so that you may create an angle that is easier to work with. {like using gravity as your friend} . By the way that carb is the larger of the two size qjets. Usually rated at 800 but sort of goverened back by the factories by various means like not letting the secondary throttle plates open all the way, so dont be worried that it is too big, it is an air valve type of carb so it will only swallow the air it can use.