grout / block filler

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
grout / block filler

my block was grouted 3 months ago & is still soft is this normal ???
I'm hoping it needs heat from running to make it set or I'm gonna be faaarrrrking pissed off .
also is it common to misalign ( restrict ) oil hole with cam bearing for more oil pressure ???
thats what the machine shop dude did ???
me & my mate went happy about that so we made old mate tap it in a bit farther ( no 4 bearing ) until it lined up fully . old mate said it was a common thing to do .
also i got a galley plug for the left oil passage to the lifters ( from 440 source ) i have read about this , have any of you guy's done this ( i have a solid cam ) i wanted to ask you guys before i installed this ????
as i have a hi vol oil pump with 1/2 pick up , bushed roller rockers , & all new clearances oil pressure should be good to go . but if adding the galley plug to the left oil passage to the lifters will benefit I'll use it .
Old 03-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ollie do you know what brand of filler they used ? Was it Hard Blok ?
I am not sure on the oil block off plan. I would think more oil is good oil.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Mopar Lover

Originally Posted by Polaradude
Ollie do you know what brand of filler they used ? Was it Hard Blok ?
I am not sure on the oil block off plan. I would think more oil is good oil.
not sure what filler they used I'll call em & find out .
well the solid lifters don't need as much oil as hyd ones & i suppose that extra oil is better going to the heads & rockers & to make sure it gets there at 7000 rpm .
it's also important that the draining oil gets back to the sump too asap . i tryed to help this also buy cutting 10 extra slots in my std windage tray . i also have a 7 qt pan that's fully baffled + the windage tray that should keep the oil down where it's meant to be .
Old 03-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deadkelly
my block was grouted 3 months ago & is still soft is this normal ???
I'm hoping it needs heat from running to make it set or I'm gonna be faaarrrrking pissed off.
How soft is it? I doesn't setup like metal, you can scratch the surface a little, if you can "dent" it or it's crumbly then there was either a problem with the product or how it was mixed. It should be fully hardened before any machining is done so I don't see anyone making a product that would require heat. The Moroso filler I use is fully hardened in 24 hours and reaches it's full strength in about a month.

Last edited by toad490; 03-29-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:51 PM
Mopar Lover

the grout

ok it's dense & i suppose it's hard .
but it feels slimy to touch . it's not crumbly , but using my finger nail i can scrape a top layer of slimy sh@t off the surface . it's not hard like concrete . maybe it's not meant to be rock hard as i suppose it could crack from vibration . mmmm I'm just a bit worried about that top layer of slimy sh#t weather thats gonna seal or weather I'll get debris going through my cooling system & blocking my radiator ????? we were gonna run it with a few layers of stocking over the radiator inlet for the cam brake in period .
Old 03-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Mopar Lover

well nobody has elaborated about the oil block off to the lifters ? if you guys build your own motors & don't do it i won't ether . but I'll give it a bit more time or try & find it on the net . no big deal i just bought it while i was ordering my parts just so it was here . instead of waiting for a little part to arrive from the other side of the world at the last second . it was $6 no big deal .