1968 Plymouth road runner 383 auto...water pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1968 Plymouth road runner 383 auto...water pump

Hello guys i just wanted to ask a few things i have a 68 road runner i have been working on, I am no mechanic but i,m pretty handing as i worked on a lot of things over the years, currently i decided to upgrade the cooling system in my car so put a new 3 core radiator 0.75" tubes with about 20% more cooling fins and overall it should cool much better also i went from a mechanical fan to duel electric puller fans... great upgrade right !, the problem i am having is my great big slim line race fans are hitting the water pump pulley and i need to make up about 30-50mm to fit them in... there are several ways i can achieve this but this is the way i am leaning too, i want to remove my mechanical water pump and was planning to go to an electric water pump and most likely i would use a Davies Craig ewp as they are widely available here in N.Z and from what i have learned one of those units alone should be fine all day long,...So if i remove my mechanical water pump to make up the room i need to fit my electric fan in is there a blanking off plate i can use to blank off the water pump on the housing??? i have looked and i cant seem to find anything out there or see anything that someone else has actually done, in theory if i go to electric water pump i can do away with the mechanical water pump and the water pump pulley correct?? and just run the belt from the alternator to the crank and obviously the water pump pulley would be gone and then i would have ample room for my fans.

Any help would be much appreciated . Thanks
Old 05-08-2021, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great info