86 Dodge power ram royal 150 issue.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 Dodge power ram royal 150 issue.

Ok guys got a good one here for yall.

Iv got a 86 dodge ram with a 360 4X4....
Its a awsome truck or was.... Heres what I know about the truck...

Leak down test passed perfectly.
Compression is 160 to 167 on all cylinders.
Has had a carb rebuild...
New coil - (The pickup coil in the dizy reads .295 on both wire sets according to my multi meter)
New voltage regulator.
New battery
New plugs/wire
New Ignition Module
New cap and bug.
Has true straight pipe duels.
EGR system has been bypased along with alote of vacuum lines.
Vacuum advance line is missing...
Truck shifts awsome - Brakes tire lose at 35 when you get on her.
4x4 works great - 2H 4H 4L
(Note truck ran fine when I got it)

Ok. Like I said the truck ran fine when I got it...
I drove it for a few weaks with out issue... Come home one night I went to pass a slow car and boy did I... Went from 30mph behind this car and I swear I was at 50 before I got around... Anyway looked down and seen i was doing 50 in a 45 so i backed off... When I did the truck died...

Went to fire her up and she acted like she had ran out of gas... I coasted to a fuel station -added gas and the engine steal would not idle (But would rev) got her home. checked what i could (Dark outside) but found nothing wrong... Next morning went out and she fired right up.
I drove over to the autozone with out issue (LIike nothing had happened)
*Its 3 miles or so from the house to autozone)
I had the alt tested and battery (The tester claimed that the voltage regulator had failed) Got a new one.... Went to leave autozone and the issue was back - At first she low/rough idled then she woulden idle at all by the time I got home.

Since then I have...

New plugs new wires cap and bug...
New ign coil (multi metered the pick up coil in the dizy) Reads perfect
Voltage regulator
I had the card rebuilt = Iv even tryed 3 other carbs on the truck. (Carb did have a issue but was fixed)
Fuel pressure tested and passed...
New Ignition Module
Iv checked wires.

It has goten better after all this... she will idle and rev again. but will start to miss majorly if more then 1/10 gas in applied while driving.

Now heres whats weird the misfire jumps... Remember those true duels I was telling you about.... Yea you can here the misfire come out one tail pipe (Lets say 3/10ths gas apply) misfire out of the left tailpipe bank 1 and 4/10th or more gas applied and the misfire will move to the right tailpipe bank2 (Clear as day -you dont even have to lesson to hear it)

The only two things I can think of is - A: A crossed plug wire. B:Theres something up with the vacuum advance... Maybe something was done to the advance and when I opened her up it came up done.

Like I said before- Egr system is gone - some vacuum lines are bypassed.
Vacuum advance line is gone. BUT The truck ran perfect with out it.

The only other things I can think of is a flat cam or stuck valve but that can be because you can here the misfire move... And it doesn't do it in P

Someone tell me what Im missing... Do i roll her to the crusher or what guys.

Thanks all. Any advice is a god send..

Last edited by Moparkid; 10-01-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:23 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Do you have a service book? I'd make sure that you don't have any of the wires mixed up. Also make sure that they are isolated from the headers. Have you checked the timing as well? I would also attach the vacuum advance line (not sure how it ran before without it).
Old 10-01-2012, 03:29 AM
Admin

I know that the 318 motors are good for it but am not so sure about the 360s..... you could have jumped a tooth on the cam gear though too.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:47 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Smile

sounds like a tooth jump if that was the original nylon gear you could have a peice missing or a tooth missing at the dizy cam gear or a few bent push rods wats your oil presser might have took off that last tenth any "junk" in a oil change open up the filter might have bent something rod/s crank push rod/s
sound like you bought it used who knows how many miles where on it
Old 10-01-2012, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the replys guys.
I guess Ill be braking down and checking the timing next... Along with timing gears.

This engine runs really good in park. Doesnt make any noises - sounds cherry.
I really think it have something to do with the dizzy or vacuum advance.

360 are pretty beefy engines. there like the 318 but with a little more ummmmp....
Old 10-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Mopar Lover

Smile

always start with the cheapest thing to fix work your way up the ladder
Old 10-02-2012, 12:55 AM

+1 to garts.... Thats what iv been trying to do lol.

Steal not sure whats going on...
I was going to work on her some more to day and found that my brother (Who was helping me)Left the electrice fuel pump switch on all night and the engine flooded....

Id say theirs about a qt or a lil more of gas in the oil now. Soo I gotta change the oil next pay check.
I diden find out until after about 30 miins of working on it and trying to adjust the dizy.... Anyone think this could have hurt the engine???
Old 10-02-2012, 01:50 AM
Admin

As long as you didn't try to run it, you should be fine. If anything, the gas helped to clean out some of the gunk that could have been in there.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Moparkid
Ok guys got a good one here for yall.

Iv got a 86 dodge ram with a 360 4X4....
Its a awsome truck or was.... Heres what I know about the truck...

Leak down test passed perfectly.
Compression is 160 to 167 on all cylinders.
Has had a carb rebuild...
New coil - (The pickup coil in the dizy reads .295 on both wire sets according to my multi meter)
New voltage regulator.
New battery
New plugs/wire
New Ignition Module
New cap and bug.
Has true straight pipe duels.
EGR system has been bypased along with alote of vacuum lines.
Vacuum advance line is missing...
Truck shifts awsome - Brakes tire lose at 35 when you get on her.
4x4 works great - 2H 4H 4L
(Note truck ran fine when I got it)

Ok. Like I said the truck ran fine when I got it...
I drove it for a few weaks with out issue... Come home one night I went to pass a slow car and boy did I... Went from 30mph behind this car and I swear I was at 50 before I got around... Anyway looked down and seen i was doing 50 in a 45 so i backed off... When I did the truck died...

Went to fire her up and she acted like she had ran out of gas... I coasted to a fuel station -added gas and the engine steal would not idle (But would rev) got her home. checked what i could (Dark outside) but found nothing wrong... Next morning went out and she fired right up.
I drove over to the autozone with out issue (LIike nothing had happened)
*Its 3 miles or so from the house to autozone)
I had the alt tested and battery (The tester claimed that the voltage regulator had failed) Got a new one.... Went to leave autozone and the issue was back - At first she low/rough idled then she woulden idle at all by the time I got home.

Since then I have...

New plugs new wires cap and bug...
New ign coil (multi metered the pick up coil in the dizy) Reads perfect
Voltage regulator
I had the card rebuilt = Iv even tryed 3 other carbs on the truck. (Carb did have a issue but was fixed)
Fuel pressure tested and passed...
New Ignition Module
Iv checked wires.

It has goten better after all this... she will idle and rev again. but will start to miss majorly if more then 1/10 gas in applied while driving.

Now heres whats weird the misfire jumps... Remember those true duels I was telling you about.... Yea you can here the misfire come out one tail pipe (Lets say 3/10ths gas apply) misfire out of the left tailpipe bank 1 and 4/10th or more gas applied and the misfire will move to the right tailpipe bank2 (Clear as day -you dont even have to lesson to hear it)

The only two things I can think of is - A: A crossed plug wire. B:Theres something up with the vacuum advance... Maybe something was done to the advance and when I opened her up it came up done.

Like I said before- Egr system is gone - some vacuum lines are bypassed.
Vacuum advance line is gone. BUT The truck ran perfect with out it.

The only other things I can think of is a flat cam or stuck valve but that can be because you can here the misfire move... And it doesn't do it in P

Someone tell me what Im missing... Do i roll her to the crusher or what guys.

Thanks all. Any advice is a god send..
Old 10-09-2012, 03:19 PM

sounds like a distributor problem...sounds electrical to me.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Mopar Lover

Smile

Originally Posted by dantheman
sounds like a distributor problem...sounds electrical to me.
are u thinkin it is a coil issue coil getting hot
i think he jumped a tooth
he s passing a car so you know hes on it slams it in to second and he roars by the slow moving object so the chain is under tension then he throwes it into 3 rd and takes his foot off the gas and that chain makes a type of wave and woop your off a tooth
but depending om the coil / dist ive had it act like that too.

Last edited by Gorts 5th; 10-09-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:31 AM

I had similar problem this year, Replace all your fuel filters ! Is there a fuel filter before the electric fuel pump ? if not install one ! Also What kind of fuel pump is it, Holley electric fuel pumps have a screen on the inlet that gets clogged. You can find instructions on the holley website for it.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
160 psi cranking compression doesn't sound like a jumped chain. At it's age it might be a good preventive measure to replace it..
Regardless of what the dis pickup reads Check to see if there is any wax drops under the pickup. If so just change it...
WHAT kind of coil did you install ??

Last edited by TVLynn; 10-20-2012 at 02:33 PM.