Any advice for first timer top end swap? 5.9 Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 10:57 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any advice for first timer top end swap? 5.9 Magnum

Going to get started this weekend at the shop. Few things have me a bit worried like the fuel sync, distributor shaft, oil pump etc. I only have an Autel DS708 scanner, not sure if I can measure fuel sync with it. I have been soaking the intake mani bolts with PB blaster. Not sure what else to look out for.

With this cam and build, you guys think I should go with 0 or 4* advanced on the timing set? If I have anywhere near stock levels of low end power I'm totally happy and would rather have top end. So I think 0 would be better, plus better p2v clearance. Know I'm cutting it close but I've been told by a builder it'll clear. Not going to mess with a degree wheel, don't have the right tools/experience to do it properly.

What rpm range you think this cam will pull to? Don't know how happy the stock bottom end will be spinning to 6.5k. Thinking it will make peak around 5.5k and shift around 6-6.2k rpm. Short block is healthy, burns only 1qt oil between 5k oil changes 50/50 city highway. Oil pressure is 40 warm, 37 on a HOT day, 0w40 full syn.

Biggest fear is cam bearings, I keep reading about folks having chewed up bearings. If I have to take the engine out, I may just chuck the cam and go 408 route. Could only go with ATK, can't spend more than 3k on a new SB, I'm already over budget and broke.

Thanks for any help guys, appreciate it.

Here's my setup:
1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9
3.73/30" tires/3" lift/4500lbs/91oct
SCT tuner
New fuel pump
Stock bottom end
2x58mm F&B TB
Larger Spectre air hat
NGK 6855 zfr7f-11 2 range colder/0.044" gap/projected tip plugs
Stock air box
4bbl M1 single plane intake with 2bbl adapter
Doug Thorley tri-y headers and high flow magnaflow cat
Single 3" Kolak mandrel exhaust with magnaflow muffler
24lb injectors 0-280-155-715
Harland 1.7 pedestal roller rockers
Johnson Hy-lift high performance lifters
Hardened pushrods-to be ordered once measured
180F thermostat
IMM Indy X Magnum 2.02 heads
212 .564"(.332" lobe)lift single pattern 110 LSA no advance ground in
Cloyes 9-1103 timing set 3 way
1121g head gaskets 0.028"
New o2's, TPS and MAP sensors
New cooling system

Last edited by THEhomelessONE; 06-10-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:20 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 870 Likes on 849 Posts
Ok.. I'm Lost.. Sorry....
What kind of bothers me about the question is. Dose the short block have lots of miles on it? That might give you issue's. And what are you going to use to run the EFI system? Also when you say stock bottom end? is that the 7.5.1 Compression ratio engine? If so, those heads and that cam, I dont think are a good match. And when you add in the M1 intake with 2- Throttle Bodys. I'm just not feeling good about it.
I'm not saying your vision will not work. I will just be, waiting too hear how it all turns out.

Hope you some of this past Brian IMM, He's a good dude..

Best of luck.. Keep us posted..
Old 06-10-2017, 01:50 PM
Mopar Fan

Hey, yeah it has about 180k but well maintained, I'm the second owner. I have an SCT handheld tuner, was planning on a box tune for now until I get a wideband hooked up for a custom tune. No it's either 9.0:1 or 9.1:1 stock, maybe around 9.3:1 with the thinner HG, heads have not been decked. So that's why I'm a little nervous about the short block. It doesn't leak or burn oil, no smoke, passes smog great, plugs look spot on, etc. but the miles are high. Only issue I've had is a bad lifter. My own stupidity, punched it to 60 with the engine still cold. I've had BMW's with over 400k and I'd push them past the edge on a regular basis and they never let me down. I hope less than 70hp/liter of displacement won't put this engine in the dirt lol my 1992 325i was making more hp/liter from the factory than this build will most likely.

It was either a custom 4bbl carb m1 machined for EFI or an Airgap. Went with the m1, looks like you can't get a new m1 anymore now either so glad I did. The throttle body is a single TB with dual 58mm throttle plates. From F&B's website. I know it's a bit overkill but I'm planing ahead for when I need a 408. Plus, I've heard on a few occasions tuners say the less manifold vacuum you have the more power you make with an EFI setup. They have to know about the larger TB to begin with though to make the corrections. I know port velocity matters too but the heads would outflow the air gap intake so I went with the m1.

I bought the heads from Brian and he also suggested the cam specs, agree he's a great guy. I was going to get a 210/220 110lsa cam with less than .544" lift before that, was really hesitant going single pattern but he knows more than me obviously haha. I know he's busy so I didn't want to keep bugging him with questions but I'm going off a limb here and trusting him. Just anxious I guess, wondering how high it'll make power.

Think I'm going to hold off diving into the build this weekend. Had 4 wisdom teeth pulled last week and my face/head is still throbbing, don't want a dry socket. Probably a good time to order new intake, cam and crank bolts.

I'll definitely post dyno results when shes all ready, thanks.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 870 Likes on 849 Posts
OK... Now im Getting it..

Last edited by RacerHog; 06-10-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 498 Likes on 480 Posts
I've seen an LS build on a block with 185k on it. The cyilinders were so good that higher compression STOCK bore pistons were used. Heres what I cringe at, compression ,mild cam with a 750QF carb the 5.3 ? bowtie made 435 :hp and a butt lode of torque.

My piont is if you believe in the short bock go for it, go or blow!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
THEhomelessONE (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

One thing, i have a 64 Farlane that came with a 289 2 barrel from Ford, C4. My daughter raced it for three years, 14.0s at 100 mph. I set the C4 up to shift @6200 rpm, stock short block, rering and i moved the pistons and rods side to side. Mild cam, cobra intake, Hooked headers and a 600 Holley. Thats on 5/16 stock rod bolts! Now Google how hard you should turn a. 2barel 289 SBF and get back.

I set it so she could put in drive to race, Best time EVER, never forget taking her out on the blacktop and showing her the linelock or her fist pass on the strip was with me at her side @ Humbolt Co Raceway three months after she turned 16. Got to Love it!
Old 06-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

By the way that shaky 16 year-old has turned into the most beautiful 31 year old woman, she has been with her husband form the age of 17, she has a masters in special education and a beautiful son, geuss who gets the old Ford when I pass!

Lets go racing!
Old 06-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Mopar Fan

Haha great story Iowan, thanks for the confidence. Man it's annoying how easy these LS's make power haha. I feel good about the short block, and if she blows oh well. 5.9's are everywhere. Talked to my dentist and she said get back to work so I'll get started on the Jeep tomorrow. No nicotine, liquor or decent food for a week now. I can at least enjoy a day off and some pain meds before getting greasy ha.

Any advice on the 46re? It was rebuilt about 40k ago, shifts great but I love launching this thing and I know it's only a matter of time. The look on their faces when their fancy new 400hp blah blah takes to catch up, priceless. Bands have a bunch of meat still on them, but is there anything you guys can recommend me to do to make this trans last as long as possible for not too much money or effort? Just did fluid/filter/gasket about 100 miles ago, looked almost new. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
You sound like you came from The Speedfreaks.net. Was a great site years ago but has tapered off and is not currently working. The 46RE will hold up to quite a bit of abuse. I have been romping it in my niner for last few years since dropping in a built motor. I have a 3" lift and 30" retread tires with stock gears too. Am acquiring the parts to remove lift and drop back down on my next set of tires. Stock compression is 9.5:1 IIRC. I went to 3 dealerships and confused the mechanics asking for setting my fuel sync, ended up just moving on since it was running great. I have been sitting on a data logger for over a year trying to find time to install it, going to get a tune from Flyin Ryan when I get it installed. Nice to see another niner here.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:05 PM
Mopar Fan

I did! Pretty sad that forum is going down, learned a ton there. Okay cool, transmission shop we use said I shouldn't be too concerned either, he likes the 46re's. Nice do you have a build thread? Cam/engine specs? Lol I know I'll get the same response with the dealers around me, can do some neat stuff with that DS708 scanner. I'd be more surprised if it couldn't do a fuel sync. Not sure if it's true but read as long as the distributor is positioned close enough the computer will sync itself over time. Hemifever hasn't responded to my email and I don't want to keep bugging him. Already have an SCT tuner, will be going with Marty Fletcher for a custom tune. $150 for unlimited tunes and haven't heard of anyone not happy with his work.

I've been watching every youtube video I can on building up these engines, feel fairly confident. Going to run my cam straight up, the cloyes timing set may have the advanced and retarded markings reversed, don't want to risk it. Guess they had a bad batch somewhere when they were bought out by federal mogul I think.

Love my niner. I drive all kinds of new cars at the shop and I'd still rather have my niner. Lol if I can improve the handling and ride quality a bit it'd be perfect. Already have 5100's and addco sways.

I'm an idiot, should be fairly easy to tell if the markings on the timing set are switched. Will know for sure this weekend haha.
Attached Thumbnails Any advice for first timer top end swap? 5.9 Magnum-20170117_231801.jpg  

Last edited by THEhomelessONE; 06-14-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:24 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I have my tune from Hemifever and am not too happy with it. Ran exact same times at the track with stock tune. Sent him all the information from my dyno runs and did not notice any change and shift points are not conducive to normal driving, only for pedal flooring. I do have a build thread here but it is very short since most of time goes into my XJ. It is actually a copy paste from my thread at speedfreaks.
https://moparforums.com/forums/f95/1...ee-5-9l-18418/
Old 06-14-2017, 08:37 PM
Mopar Fan

Very cool thanks. Hope the new tune wakes up your engine. My stock niner fell on it's face above 7,000 feet. Maybe try a different map sensor?