Got my intake back for my small block

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:30 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got my intake back for my small block

Got my intake back for my small block. Holley Dominator EFI 16 injector setup.

This is what it's going in: http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...rbo-Cuda-build

Name:  c5e4c4dc.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  1.10 MB
Name:  b2da3cda.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  981.8 KB
Name:  c91b265e.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  1.17 MB
Name:  11aee543.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  1.07 MB
Old 06-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
That is FREAKIN' SWEET!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:14 AM
PK1
Mopar Lover

Received 106 Likes on 104 Posts
Man, those welds look like a row of sideways nickles... AWESOME. Someone took there time there. Looks GREAT!!

But.. You cant tease us like that.. We want some tech stuff..

1. You gonna run on the lower rail and stage the second? Hum... What the heck needs that much fuel? Details..... Please?

2. Haven't used the Dominator but will follow your build closely. I love the detail! Do you need a spot for map under the blade and IAT? Maybe its my eyes but I didnt see any threaded bungs for that stuff and am ignorant to the new system.. I'll see if I can get the instruction sheet from them..

Appreciate you letting us follow along. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by 78D200
That is FREAKIN' SWEET!
John Marcella did the conversion. Check out his work, you'll be in awe!

http://www.marcellamanifolds.net/images/Images.html
Old 06-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by PK1
Man, those welds look like a row of sideways nickles... AWESOME. Someone took there time there. Looks GREAT!!

But.. You cant tease us like that.. We want some tech stuff..

1. You gonna run on the lower rail and stage the second? Hum... What the heck needs that much fuel? Details..... Please?

2. Haven't used the Dominator but will follow your build closely. I love the detail! Do you need a spot for map under the blade and IAT? Maybe its my eyes but I didnt see any threaded bungs for that stuff and am ignorant to the new system.. I'll see if I can get the instruction sheet from them..

Appreciate you letting us follow along. Thanks!
Thanks. Okay some details. It is a staged injection with 66lbs injectors on the bottom and 120lbs on top. The engine will spend 99% of it's life on just the 66's, but at Bonneville and the Monster Mile, it'll use both.

What needs that much fuel? Twin 72MM turbo's on a 422 CI R3 small block. Should be in the 1600 HP range at full boost and 116 in the tank. Otherwise, it'll be a docile 650 HP motor putting around on 87 octane and 5 psi of boost.

If you look on the back of the elbow, that extra piece of aluminum is their so you can drill and tap for fittings/sensors. Your right, that's where the MAP and IAT will go.

The Holley Dominator system is phenomenal. My R3 is running coil on plug and sequential injection. I can adjust timing and fuel for each individual cylinder and with the wide band 02's and 8 EGT's, tuning is a breeze. These are all inputs to the system and can be set at high and low limits to shut the engine down, retard timing, boost, etc... Yes it has full boost control based on RPM, gear position, or however you want to program it to ramp it in or out. The addition injectors as well as my fuel pumps can be controlled similarly. They can be activated by boost, RPM, duty cycle, etc... It even controls the mundane things such as cooling fans and the A/C (which I am using, it's hot in Florida!).

Thanks for the interest, and please feel free to ask any questions on the build, I will post pics as this thing progresses.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:33 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
How much bore and stroke is the motor to get it to 422? Why not go with a BB? Cam? Heads? What are you using for a tranny to back up this monster motor?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:08 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by 78D200
How much bore and stroke is the motor to get it to 422? Why not go with a BB? Cam? Heads? What are you using for a tranny to back up this monster motor?
4.100" bore and 4" stroke.

I always preferred small blocks which works well because the R3,4, or 5 is probably the only block that can handle the cylinder pressure aside from a race Hemi block.

I'm using a set of CNC M/C Brodix heads, which I think is the most underrated head available for small blocks. Everyone always get wound up on peak flow numbers. Sure W8 and 9's can flow .400 cfm at .800 lift, but my cam is in the low .600's. I was more concerned with area under the curve, and these heads are some of the best. Their low lift numbers are hard for most heads to match. As for cam, it's a "custom" turbo grind. Sorry not willing to give up numbers.

Transmission is a Quaife sequential 6 speed manual with a dual disc clutch. This is mainly a street/track day car, so boost and HP will be kept relatively low so the trans/clutch will live. On the high speed runs, I'll baby it to keep shock loads at a minimum and hopefully won't have any drivetrain breakage. Fingers crossed!
Old 06-21-2012, 07:16 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
boy your right about the florida heat i use a solid flex fan in the summer and return to the clutch fan in the winter lol yea wat winter in florida not this year i had a heck of a time mating my ac with the air gap manifold had to make special brackets to clear the water neck
hope she holds together for you ive seen alot of them blow up on y tube of course mostly ford chevy
Old 06-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Gorts 5th
hope she holds together for you ive seen alot of them blow up on y tube of course mostly ford chevy
Start with quality machine work, thorough blueprinting (Mike Laciura handled that for me) and good parts. Crower billet crank, Oliver billet rods, CP forged reverse combustion chamber pistons, Crower EDM solid rollers, Jesel rockers, Inconel exhaust valves, Hell Fire rings, etc... Then you really know how much more a Mopar cost than a Ford or Chevy!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
That is a beautiful piece of work !!