How to get an easier cold start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get an easier cold start?

Hi everybody today I unmounted my carter AFB from the engine to clean it again due to idle problems but I want to take care at this moment to look if is possible to get an easier cold start. Right now start the car for first time in the day or if him has been stopped while 4 hours or more is very very very hard! I must crank the engine six or more times to get the engine running, no matter if choke plate is close or open but if I pump the throttle I can't see gasoline coming into the venturies is like if the carburetor bowl is empty. So What Can I check in the carburetor to solve this problem?

thanks !

Last edited by josehf34; 12-13-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 139 Likes on 138 Posts
its your mech fuel pump. TOSS the mech fuel pump. get a carter electric pump. put it close to the fuel tank. and put a over ride switch on to pump the fuel up be fore starting. and a oil pressure switch in an accident to turn the fuel off.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by moe7404
its your mech fuel pump. TOSS the mech fuel pump. get a carter electric pump. put it close to the fuel tank. and put a over ride switch on to pump the fuel up be fore starting. and a oil pressure switch in an accident to turn the fuel off.
Exactly what I suspected. What pump is better Between carters electric fuel pump and edelbrocks electric fuel pump? What mounting hardware I will need to install the pump (filters, fuel lines etc)?

Thank you for your help but isn't clear for me yet why the carburetor bowl gets empty? where goes all the gas, maybe it evaporates? I already checked the bowl for gas leaks and I didn't find leaks

Last edited by josehf34; 12-13-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
It should work fine with the mechanical fuel pump.. For some reason the accelerator pump is draining the fuel. You must remember you are not working on a fuel injected system that every one is used to...Could have a Bad check valve in the accelerator pump circuit ?? Allowing the fuel to go back into the carb rather that out the accelerator pump.. Could be the pump itself Electric pump just covers up the problem Weather plays a big roll too...
Old 12-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by TVLynn
It should work fine with the mechanical fuel pump.. For some reason the accelerator pump is draining the fuel. You must remember you are not working on a fuel injected system that every one is used to...Could have a Bad check valve in the accelerator pump circuit ?? Allowing the fuel to go back into the carb rather that out the accelerator pump.. Could be the pump itself Electric pump just covers up the problem Weather plays a big roll too...
I'm not 100% sure but your theory is that the carburetor is leaking into the intake manifold through the acceleraton pump? if i'm right please take account that the current accelerator pump is new that came with the rebuild kit so how can I detect if one of the check valves are broken and where are those valves located?
Old 12-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
If you think your having fuel evaporating problems you could try one of these:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/649...oductId=743742

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...ductId=2344008

There are many types, or you could make your own from wood just to try it.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:07 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coronet 500
If you think your having fuel evaporating problems you could try one of these:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/649...oductId=743742

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...ductId=2344008

There are many types, or you could make your own from wood just to try it.
Now we're talking about heat dissipation I read in some forums that the fuel line must be located away from the block or the intake manifold and right now my fuel line is located just over the intake so If I put it away will I get less evaporation?
Old 12-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
I would first look at the fuel line coming to the pump and how close it is to any exhaust manifolding. If it is close then a sheetmetal shield with air gap will kee the heat out. There are insulation products that you can slip over the fuel line running along the intake manifold from the pump without having to relocate it.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Modern alcoholized and oxygenated fuel boils terribly.

Next time you suspect it won't start, before you crank the engine, pull the filter, use a flashlight if necessary and look down the carb throats. Give the throttle a little kick and you should see fuel spewing from the accel. pump nozzles. If not, the carb bowls have gone dry.

BUT THAT may not be the only cause.

On "hot shutdown" fuel can boil in the float bowls and force some fuel up over and into the engine, causing a flooding condition.

I finally went to EFI on my car

But before that, I was able to get a BIG improvement by doing these things.............

converted from mechanical to electric pump, mounted in the rear. You don't HAVE to use a great big race pump with regulator, there are many pumps which are a direct mechanical replacement

Constructed a fuel return system. I first saw one on my old 440-6 car. You can buy fuel filters with a built in return orifice. Wix 33040 ....5/16, and 33041......3/8. These have a built in 1/4" fitting for a return line with a return orifice. You orient the filter with the 1/4" line up, either with the can vertically or horizontally, and route the 1/4 return back to the tank.

Last, the above mentioned heat isolator. Someone on "another board" claims to have experimented Holley/ Edelbrock and claims the Ed carbs are worse for boiling BECAUSE THE FLOAT BOWLS are in more intimate contact with the hot manifold.

Also, most guys seem to be having better luck with the heat crossover blocked.

In my car, the "proof in the pudding" was hot vs cold weather. In my car, as long as the temp was below 60 or so the car would start anytime, cold or warm. But on a warm day, after the car warmed up, parked for a few minutes it took maybe 10 seconds of cranking to start. Cold starts were pretty much instant.

Before I converted to EFI, I considered installing a separate pump kill switch so that as I drove up and parked, I could kill the pump a few seconds early, allowing the carb to run partway dry, but never did this.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by 440roadrunner
Modern alcoholized and oxygenated fuel boils terribly.

Next time you suspect it won't start, before you crank the engine, pull the filter, use a flashlight if necessary and look down the carb throats. Give the throttle a little kick and you should see fuel spewing from the accel. pump nozzles. If not, the carb bowls have gone dry.

BUT THAT may not be the only cause.

On "hot shutdown" fuel can boil in the float bowls and force some fuel up over and into the engine, causing a flooding condition.

I finally went to EFI on my car

But before that, I was able to get a BIG improvement by doing these things.............

converted from mechanical to electric pump, mounted in the rear. You don't HAVE to use a great big race pump with regulator, there are many pumps which are a direct mechanical replacement

Constructed a fuel return system. I first saw one on my old 440-6 car. You can buy fuel filters with a built in return orifice. Wix 33040 ....5/16, and 33041......3/8. These have a built in 1/4" fitting for a return line with a return orifice. You orient the filter with the 1/4" line up, either with the can vertically or horizontally, and route the 1/4 return back to the tank.

Last, the above mentioned heat isolator. Someone on "another board" claims to have experimented Holley/ Edelbrock and claims the Ed carbs are worse for boiling BECAUSE THE FLOAT BOWLS are in more intimate contact with the hot manifold.

Also, most guys seem to be having better luck with the heat crossover blocked.

In my car, the "proof in the pudding" was hot vs cold weather. In my car, as long as the temp was below 60 or so the car would start anytime, cold or warm. But on a warm day, after the car warmed up, parked for a few minutes it took maybe 10 seconds of cranking to start. Cold starts were pretty much instant.

Before I converted to EFI, I considered installing a separate pump kill switch so that as I drove up and parked, I could kill the pump a few seconds early, allowing the carb to run partway dry, but never did this.
the part that is in bold exactly describes my problem, I can't see fuel coming from the pump nozzles so I conclude the bowl is dry. I was thinking about an EFI or MPFI system but I don't like this idea,, I personally think that them change the engine sound and are expensive.

Today I'm going to put the fuel line away from the intake maybe this can help a bit and I'm going to ask for the price of a electric pump. A friend of mine has a check valve in the fuel line near the carburetor. Can this help?

Yesterday I was a bit surprised because I accidentally dropped my old Holley 2245 carburetor and it still keep a lot of fuel inside on it (it was stored since two months ago), in my country all the gasoline has between 10 and 15% of ethanol so why the gasoline on the holley doesn't vaporized?

Last edited by josehf34; 12-14-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:42 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
Accelerator pump is feed from the float bowl. IF YOU LOOK UNDER THE PUMP SHOOTER It has a check ball to keep fuel from being pushed back into the float bowl SO NO it doesn't go into the intake.. It could go into the intake if the float level is too high
Old 12-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 871 Likes on 850 Posts
And or the needle and seat get hung open...
Old 12-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 139 Likes on 138 Posts
if its in good shape pump some fuel it the manifold and it sit for 30 sec before cranking
Old 12-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Out of curiosity, what gas cap are you running?
Vented or non-vented?
Also, are you running an electric choke? Is it getting the full 12v necessary?
Old 12-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZombiePopper
Out of curiosity, what gas cap are you running?
Vented or non-vented?
Also, are you running an electric choke? Is it getting the full 12v necessary?
I think I'm using vented gas

The carb has a manual choke but it doesn't make any difference if I use it

if its in good shape pump some fuel it the manifold and it sit for 30 sec before cranking
I know this could help but I can't pump due to the bowl gets empty

Accelerator pump is feed from the float bowl. IF YOU LOOK UNDER THE PUMP SHOOTER It has a check ball to keep fuel from being pushed back into the float bowl SO NO it doesn't go into the intake.. It could go into the intake if the float level is too high
Today I finished my carb cleaning and I adjusted the float level like carter/edelbrock service manual indicates so I think this couldn't be the problem and yes I put a new check ball into the pump shooter