Old MOPAR books.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 05:45 PM

Location: Technically Orlando, but usually when posting on the crapper.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old MOPAR books.

Does anyone have good books, threads, ECT on older MOPAR stuff. I'm trying to do some research on my 84 d250 w/ a 318. Mostly looking for info on what carbs everyone uses and headwork can be done. I don't want to go to crazy, but some decent cams in the future but carb for now. I do have a msd 6 not hooked up and the dizzy I'm not to sure what it is. From what I know about the stock auto transmission is good for some basic upgrades. I am also looking for a lunch box locker for the rear.

Again, sorry to ask basic noob questions. I am just completely new to ANYTHING Mopar! There's tons of odd wires, bits, and relays around. I wish I could strip most of it out. None of y'all are in central Florida are ya? Lol
Old 06-26-2022, 06:58 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
AS long as you dont have to Emission Test the truck....
Intake Edelbrock Performer
Carb 650 Vacuum Secondary
Heads: just clean up and port match the intake runners and clean up any flashing/casting... not grinding or hogging out ports...
Small 268H 270H hydrulic cam and lifter set..
For the Diff stuff. Check out Doctor Diff. >>>>> https://www.doctordiff.com/ >>>>> or something like them.... FYI, I dont carry a lunch box, so I have no idea... lol
AS for info... Hot Rod Mag and Youtube and help you..... Check out 318willrun and Uncle Tony's budget build 318...Just for some basic's.

Not near Florida: But I understand you have some good shops down that way?????

Just my 2 cents... Good Luck.... Cheers
Old 06-27-2022, 08:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the local library. That brick and mortar wikipedia place. Our library has extensive manuals. I will look in a couple of books that I have, but they may not get that new. For the rear, pull the info off the ID tag. ~a
Old 06-28-2022, 07:07 PM

Location: Technically Orlando, but usually when posting on the crapper.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RacerHog
AS long as you dont have to Emission Test the truck....
Intake Edelbrock Performer
Carb 650 Vacuum Secondary
Heads: just clean up and port match the intake runners and clean up any flashing/casting... not grinding or hogging out ports...
Small 268H 270H hydrulic cam and lifter set..
For the Diff stuff. Check out Doctor Diff. >>>>> https://www.doctordiff.com/ >>>>> or something like them.... FYI, I dont carry a lunch box, so I have no idea... lol
AS for info... Hot Rod Mag and Youtube and help you..... Check out 318willrun and Uncle Tony's budget build 318...Just for some basic's.

Not near Florida: But I understand you have some good shops down that way?????

Just my 2 cents... Good Luck.... Cheers
Thank you for all the great info!!!! Looks like the consensus is Holly would be the go to. I'm looking at just rebuilding the whole top end. Makes sense to do everything at that point. I was wondering about having the heads shaved down a bit to raise compression or would it be better to find some 360 heads and have them worked over?
Old 06-29-2022, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 482 Posts
In the 80s 360 and the 318 used the same heads.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:12 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
Agree with Iowan on the heads... All the same until you get to the magnum stuff, then a little different ball game.. Just dont try to rebuild any junk head. if the machine shop says the heads are iffy, just get a good set of iron replacements.

Don't really need to shave the heads unless to move away from the steel shim head gasket... At that point, then you will want to shave the head to compensate for any thickness differences. If you don't, the compression goes from bad to worse....

Just my 2 cents...