Engines, Exhaust and Fuel systems
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock 360 replacement camshaft suggestions

Old 03-16-2019, 11:13 AM
Mopar Fanatic

stock 360 replacement camshaft suggestions

Hello all

I'm doing research for rebuilding the 360 engine in my blue 1977 Dodge W200 (ex M880) this summer. Some of you may remember it from older posts.
Back in November of 18 it started having trouble with the top end and got progressively worse, so I parked it. As previously stated, the last owner of this truck didn't believe in oil changes or preventative maintenance of any kind.
So, the motor is sludged up pretty bad.

I plan on having the cylinder heads rebuilt by a professional and having the block hot tanked if possible which from what I read means new cam bearing which is a job for the machinist.

Since I haven't done a tear down yet I'm planning for the worst in my research.

Just because of how dirty the engine is I plan on replacing the cam and lifters regardless.

Which brings me to the subject of this thread. What camshaft should I choose for a stock 360 for a truck application?

I don't really understand most camshaft specs, but my book says valve lift should be .410". So, I get on summit racing to look at camshaft kits for my engine. Using the filter called "Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio" I pick the cam with the lowest matching numbers which is 0.420 int./0.420 exh.

Edelbrock Performer-Plus Cam and Lifter Kits 2177
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2177
Basic Operating RPM Range: Idle-5,500
Edelbrock says the same valve springs , rockers , shafts and push rods can be used.

Would the above camshaft kit be a good choice for me? It has .010 more valve lift than stock, what effect will that have?

I also plan on switching to a four barrel intake and going FiTech, but I haven't decide if that will be during the rebuild or at a later time due to added costs. The current fuel delivery is the stock 2 barrel Holley 2245 carburetor.

I rarely haul or tow anything but, I'd like to still have the option. Better fuel mileage would be nice.. no matter how small.

Any advice would be most appreciated.
Thank You

Last edited by dodgem880; 03-16-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:33 PM
Mopar Lover

Stay with the 270 Avr. Duration and under, if your going to leave it pretty much in stock form. I say add the EFI from the Get-Go, Add it at the time of the build, Don't do it later. Thats the only spot you might gain a little fuel mileage. I going to say your looking at around 10MPG, and thats about it.
Just my 2 cents
Old 03-16-2019, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with Mr Bob stock cam or maybe an RV cam.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:37 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Thanks for the replies

Alright so 270 duration or less. Stock cam.

I looked at OEM spec cam kits on rockauto for my application/engine and I think I found a better option that $54 cheaper and comes with a double roller timing chain.
Its branded by Sealed Power which I had never heard of but a quick Google search says their associated Federal-Mogul.

Here is the link:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...603&cc=1100754

Better yet I could get a replacement stock cam with a engine rebuild it.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...100754&jsn=494

The ones on rockauto are by enginetech. Again I've never heard of them but, a quick google search and I don't see anyone saying anything bad. I can't buy one until I know what my sizes are.
In the meantime any other suggestions?