727 output shaft slag

Old 06-02-2015, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
727 output shaft slag

Hello,
My name is Jonas and I am currently doing an Internship in Michigan Detroit area for 6 months (3 more to go) in the US.
I bought a 71 Dodge charger 500 to do a road trip after my internship and then take the car back to Germany with me.

There are a few Problems with the car I have to fix.

I pulled the drive shaft because I thought the u joints were stuck. It started swinging under the car at a little speed.
Drive shaft looked fine. But I actually discovered some movement in the output shaft coming out my 727 automatic.

I can move (and hear the play) the output shaft up and down. So I am guessing this is where the swinging come from?
There is a bearing and a bushing in the extension housing, right? Which one will cause this movement?
And more important, can I get the parts ( Bearing, Bushing, extension housing gasket) at a local Auto parts shop?

Cheers Jonas
Old 06-02-2015, 11:56 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
There is a pilot bushing in the rear of the input shaft and another bushing in the output shaft support

Most likely you will have to go to a transmission shop to get the parts and gaskets.

This repair will require a near (99%) complete disassembly.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:14 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
MOST likely it is the bushing !!! Which can be replaced without complete dis assembly.
You can then check the support bearing which may need complete dis assembly to remove the main shaft to press on a new bearing. Never needed to replace one... May also need a new drive shaft yoke. Yes a transmission shop will have the parts. Not mandatory but you should use a press to replace the bushing..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ied-sy-727-7260

Last edited by TVLynn; 06-08-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:48 AM

Hello, thanks for the answers!#

I removed the extension housing.

The support bearing is the one where the snap on ring goes on, which locks the extension housing, right? The support bearing looked not to bad. No up and down (radial) movement, but small front and back (axial movement). The output shaft still got movement up and down, and when you move it you can hear its play in the main housing. The movement is not to much but as I said, there is some movement and it makes “klak klak” more inside the housing.
You still think it’s the bushing in the end of the extension housing?
You got a rough number for the cost of a new drive shaft yoke?

Thank you
Old 06-05-2015, 01:27 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Dont forget...... The Bushing supports the yoke and that supports the rear output shaft.... The movement you may be feeling is because you removed the yoke for the support.... Just food for thought...
Old 06-24-2015, 05:56 AM

Alright, sorry guys for the long delay.
The bearing in the extension housing did look good. I replaced the bushing though, but the old one wasn’t completely teared down. I reinstalled everything and I am ready to test besides one problem:

After I ordered two new u-joints I discovered that the pinion yoke in the carrier housing have a different size than it should be. The diameter for the caps looked good, but the inner snap ring span is much bigger (I measured 3.125”).
Anybody know what car this dimension can come from? I couldn’t find the right adapter U-Joint yet.

Thanks,
Jonas
Old 06-25-2015, 04:41 AM

Ok, I failed to measure it correctly. Its not 3.125". Its just the "small" on the "big" mopar U joint. So i was able to get the correct adapter U-joint.

Unfortunately I got a bigger problem. Now the Transmission shifter leveler is stuck in Park. But I can rotate the output shaft freely. So I guess I messed up with the rod alignment that pushes the Parking lock in the extension housing?