72 duster won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
72 duster won't start

Hello guys,

I've been running my 72 duster and lately it doesn't want to turn over after stopping at certain points. When I turn the key over my radio works, but I can't hear a starter crank. I've noticed that sometimes if the cat isn't in park correctly that it doesn't crank. Any suggestions on what to check out for shorts? Thanks!

Jon P.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
My first guess is shift linkage out of adjustment or a bad neutral safety switch, but check it out, it's easy.

The way the neutral safety works is like this:

You have a wire comes directly from the ignition switch, through the bulkhead, to one terminal of the start relay. When you twist the key to "start" that wire is hot, but the start relay will not engage until you provide a ground form the neutral safety switch down on the transmission.

When the relay engages, it sends battery voltage down to the starter solenoid on about a no10 wire.

Next time it quits try wiggling the shifter handle and then putting the shifter into neutral instead of park, and wiggling it there if necessary. If this affects the problem, you have a shift link out of adjustment, or a bad neutral safety switch.

If wiggling the shifter does not affect it, ..................

Next try "jumpering" the relay. Use a screwdriver or pliers and jumper across the two exposed terminals, the big stud and the "square" looking terminal.

If the starter cranks, then you have problems in the relay/ neutral safety, or the wire to the ignition switch, or the switch itself.

So identify the neutral safety switch wire at the start relay. There are two "push on" terminals, one is traditionally yellow and comes from the key, the other is traditionally brown, and goes down to the switch. Remove that brown, clip the relay terminal to ground, and see if the starter cranks, using the key. If it does, you have a neutral safety switch problem, the wire to the switch, or a linkage adjustment problem.

If the above does not cause the starter to operate, make sure (with a test light or meter) that you have power from the key to the other push on terminal ---on the yellow wire.

If that is OK, probably a bad start relay.

If you do NOT have good power on the yellow wire (with the key in "start") the wire has a break---might be the bulkhead connector, bad connection at the igniton switch, or a bad switch.

DO YOU HAVE a shop manual or wiring diagram?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:57 PM

72 Duster wont start

I had wiggled the shifter into neutral position and the car started, but when I put the shifter into Park the engine wouldn't crank, put it back into nuetral and it cranked over. So, how do I investigate to see if its a shifter link out of alignment? Or if its just a bad nuetral safety switch? I'm new at this so sorry for any questions that may seem rookie.

Thanks for the help guys.

Jon. P
Old 12-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It might be a bad neutral switch i had some trouble with that in my 72. Try what 440roadrunner said a shop manual should show you how to adjust the shifter link i dont know it off the top of my head but could look it up for you.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:09 AM
Mopar Lover

Yup. If wiggling the shifter or putting into neutral causes it to crank, then no1 suspect is linkage adjustment, if not, replace the switch.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:13 PM

Adjusting Shift Linkage

How would one go about adjusting the shift linkage on the 72 Duster? Do. I need to get under the car or is it something that I can do from inside the car?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jon P.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Mopar Lover

You need to go over to FABO and download the free shop manual. It's all in there:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...al%2C+download

direct link to the 72 shop manual:

http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Mis...Serv%20Man.pdf

Scroll down the page, there are others posted. Also, there's a lot of free download stuff over at My mopar:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=18