Losing all electrical power

Old 04-25-2017, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Losing all electrical power

I have a 1966 Dodge Dart GT convertible I bought several years ago already 80% restored, I have been working along on it as I could and have a lot of new interior parts to finish the job. I have ran into a problem with the top and swapped the ram jacks and was going to put a new pump motor but it wouldn't lift the top without help so I tried the old pump and it works fine after bleeding it again, now here is were it gets interesting, I thought I was losing power to the electrical system due to the old convertible pump motor getting hot due to being grounded but the new one was giving me the same problem, I mean everything just quits, no head lights no ignition power, nothing, let it set for awhile and everything starts back up and works and it only does this when I use the top up and down several times, so something is heating up and causing this electrical problem, I have looked at the firewall connectors and can't see nothing that has gotten hot. Anyone have a thought on this problem
Old 04-26-2017, 08:30 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 868 Likes on 847 Posts
Check the amp gauge power wires and also the Circuit Breaker wiring for the Accessory side....

Last edited by RacerHog; 04-26-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:35 PM

Amp gauge probably the problem

Thanks for the idea, I have a friend that is going to help me try and figure this out, he said it sounded to him like the typical Mopar electrical problem of the amp gauge, which I'm old enough to remember the Mopar Dashes I seen with the amp gauge burned out of the dash, Mopar was the last of the big three to get away from this old type system that worked great with 6 volt T models, I'm a above average mechanic and a below average electrician, my friend is working as a diesel mechanic at a shop that is part of a Quick oil change franchise, I'm retired with plenty of time and he has none, so I will have to wait on his availability, we both share a love for the classic and new Mopars and we have worked on several projects together. I appreciate your help and will come back and post the outcome when we can get to it. If you happen to know of a retro type gauge that can replace the oem I would appreciate it or I will have to put one under the dash, right now everything original works and has numbers matching drive train. I won second place in the A-body division of the Mopar car show here in Cullman Alabama two years ago. I will try to put a picture of the Dart on here when I figure out how.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:39 PM

I'm sorry racerhog, I should have said I think you hit the nail on the head.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:05 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 868 Likes on 847 Posts
Well Lets see how it turns out....
After you test for that stuff.... If you have a AMP Clamp Meter, Clamp that on the hot wire side and run the motor and let see what kind of AMPs the top motor is pulling. It might be more than the Breaker? At least then will know what you need to fix next...
Old 04-26-2017, 06:32 PM

Thanks! I'll let you know what happens when we get to it.