Just inherited 1967 Dodge Dart - help welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just inherited 1967 Dodge Dart - help welcome!

My Daddy just inherited an automatic on the column 1967 Dodge Dart (I think 225 Slant Six) that only has 89,586 original miles on it from my Great Aunt Mary who died at the young age of 103 a few weeks ago. Daddy helped her buy this car brand new in 1967 from one of the Darlington, SC sales, and before she died she said she wanted him to have it.

I was looking around at it this morning in the old shed where it has been parked for 6 years, not running or anything, and it's in great shape. The body is perfectly straight with no accidents (she literally only drove the thing once a week to town to get groceries because she lived next door to her church) and just a ding or two on the chrome that looks great. It's a white 4 door, and the interior still looks brand new except for a couple of spots where mice got in and gnawed on the headliner.

I know we need to drop the gas tank and boil it out. How hard is that to do? I've restored a 1964 Plymouth Valiant convertible before so I know a good bit about these cars, but I never dropped the tank on mine before. I know we better boil the radiator and of course replace the fuel pump, rebuild the carburetor, replace the belt and hoses... but any advice is welcome. I'm excited to get to work on this car because it's in such good shape!

Anyway, just wanted to see what you guys have to say. Also - what do you think something like this car would be worth once we wash and wax it and get it back up to speed?

Thanks!

Barry

Jeremiah 29:11-13
Old 04-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Mopar Lover

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry about your aunt.

That's a sweet car....I'm about to replace the tank on my 76', I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:27 PM

Thanks very much! Aunt Mary lived a long, good Christian life and was a great inspiration to a lot of people. Can you imagine what all she saw in her 103 years?
Old 04-09-2011, 01:39 PM

mrstangblb I have the same question =)
Old 04-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
welcome to the forum
dropping the tank isnt the hardest thing ever
just be careful not to damage anything in the process
make sure that the filler neck doesnt pull on the quarter panel, because that may bend it and damage the paint

pics would help figure out a ballpark price for the car
Old 04-10-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by 67 GTX
pics would help figure out a ballpark price for the car
No problem - but the car is in a shed at my Aunt's house. Once I get it towed to my garage and wash it I'll get some pictures up.

Still would like to know the size of the tires on the original wheels. Thanks for any help!

Barry
Old 04-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Mopar Fanatic

WHEELS
AND TIRES
Drum
Brakes
Rim Size
4.5 J
Tire Size
6.50 x 13 (a)
7.00 x 13
Disc
Brakes
Rim Size
4.5 J
Tire Size
6.95 x 14

hope this helps, sounds like a real nice car!
Old 03-17-2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by mrstangblb
My Daddy just inherited an automatic on the column 1967 Dodge Dart (I think 225 Slant Six) that only has 89,586 original miles on it from my Great Aunt Mary who died at the young age of 103 a few weeks ago. Daddy helped her buy this car brand new in 1967 from one of the Darlington, SC sales, and before she died she said she wanted him to have it.

I was looking around at it this morning in the old shed where it has been parked for 6 years, not running or anything, and it's in great shape. The body is perfectly straight with no accidents (she literally only drove the thing once a week to town to get groceries because she lived next door to her church) and just a ding or two on the chrome that looks great. It's a white 4 door, and the interior still looks brand new except for a couple of spots where mice got in and gnawed on the headliner.

I know we need to drop the gas tank and boil it out. How hard is that to do? I've restored a 1964 Plymouth Valiant convertible before so I know a good bit about these cars, but I never dropped the tank on mine before. I know we better boil the radiator and of course replace the fuel pump, rebuild the carburetor, replace the belt and hoses... but any advice is welcome. I'm excited to get to work on this car because it's in such good shape!

Anyway, just wanted to see what you guys have to say. Also - what do you think something like this car would be worth once we wash and wax it and get it back up to speed?

Thanks!

Barry

Jeremiah 29:11-13
Hello Barry, I recently bought a car in Georgia that actually describes your car which is kind of funny. Do you have any pictures of yours?
Old 03-17-2018, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by brybry4
Hello Barry, I recently bought a car in Georgia that actually describes your car which is kind of funny. Do you have any pictures of yours?
That's great I think the fellow that bought it from me was from Atlanta. Is that where you got it? Let me see if I can find a link with some pictures for you.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:27 PM

I knew I posted a bunch on the Slant 6 Forum. Check this out - start to finish:

http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=44751
Old 03-17-2018, 07:42 PM

I knew I posted a bunch on the Slant 6 Forum. Check this out - start to finish:

http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=44751
I have to wait to be approved before I can see the pictures. Here is mine.
Attached Thumbnails Just inherited 1967 Dodge Dart - help welcome!-img_20180312_110807_536.jpg   Just inherited 1967 Dodge Dart - help welcome!-20180311_132820.jpg  
Old 03-17-2018, 07:47 PM

That is beautiful! I can't remember anything that would stick out and I would know that was our car, but if it is, that would be wild!
Old 03-17-2018, 08:52 PM

That is beautiful! I can't remember anything that would stick out and I would know that was our car, but if it is, that would be wild!
I bought the car from a guy out side of Athens Georgia that said he got it from some one from out near Columbia, Sc. The car has 93,000 miles, But it has a hole right above the drivers side sun visor that mice ate through. Two pieces of trim on the trunk look like they have been fixed. Plus the fuel pump, altinator and belt was replaced, at some point and the carb looks newish. Absolutely love this car. Might do a few modifications to the the slant 6.

Last edited by brybry4; 03-17-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:54 AM

I bought the car from a guy out side of Athens Georgia that said he got it from some one from out near Columbia, Sc. The car has 93,000 miles, But it has a hole right above the drivers side sun visor that mice ate through. Two pieces of trim on the trunk look like they have been fixed. Plus the fuel pump, altinator and belt was replaced, at some point and the carb looks newish. Absolutely love this car. Might do a few modifications to the the slant 6.
That's bound to be Aunt Mary's car. I tried to look close on my pictures and it looks like the month on our SC Inspection sticker was 9. Is that what yours has on it?
Old 03-18-2018, 06:55 AM

That's bound to be Aunt Mary's car. I tried to look close on my pictures and it looks like the month on our SC Inspection sticker was 9. Is that what yours has on it?
Yeah, 9 of 1995. And I was looking at the pictures you posted and the dent on the roof over the drivers side and the dent on the molding on the trunk are the exact spots this one has. What a small world.

Last edited by brybry4; 03-18-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:18 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Awesome...
Old 03-18-2018, 12:27 PM

Yeah, 9 of 1995. And I was looking at the pictures you posted and the dent on the roof over the drivers side and the dent on the molding on the trunk are the exact spots this one has. What a small world.
That's great My Daddy helped Aunt Mary buy that car brand new from a dealer in downtown Spartanburg, and she paid for it. She really only drove it to the grocery store once a week after she retired, and my Aunt Melba that lives 2 houses down from where she lived would go with her She hated driving the Dodge because it didn't have power steering or brakes.

When Aunt Mary died she wanted Daddy to have it, and at first he didn't want it... But I talked him into taking it so we could clean it up. I knew it would look great, and after the first wash and wax I was amazed!

Daddy let me keep it at my house, and I drove it once in a while. The first time I drove it on I-85 I had so much of the stuff the squirrels had stuffed in the vents swirling around inside that I was laughing out loud!

That's a great car. Thanks for reviving some fun memories!