1983 RAMCHARGER 318 HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 RAMCHARGER 318 HELP

Hello, im sam and im working on my brother in laws 1983 Ramcharger 4x4 w/318

The problem is intermittent and i feel like sometimes it doesnt want tp start and just cranks and cranks and cranks. It will turn off while driving and will give you hell trying to turn it back on.

Everything is stock, but the distributor and sparkplug wires are aftermarket. My brother in law is in the navy and he loves his baby and is coming home on Tuesday. Today is Saturday. Me and my FIL found some frayed wires on the harness connection going to the ignition coil, some kind of sensor on the intale manifold next to the carburetor, and the distributor. 5 wires in total. My FIL took it to his work so he could rebuild it and brought it back, i wired it back in and the truck fired right up and i took it for a drive for a while, parked it and went to the store, came back home in it and parked it to give her a clean, turned it back on and off multiple times, MIL and wife came home and i showed them that it turned on fine with no problems. So i hang out for about an hour or so, then i go and try to start it. *sound of starter turning* Nothing.... Try again... *starter turning* Nothing... My FIL says itll turn on later, i head out and come back home and get in ut and turn the key, not even a second later it fires up like it did when i replaced the harness. It was mint, get my wife in and drive off to get some burgers and as soon as i get to the furst stop light, it dies. Im like "fudge" except i didnt say fudge. I throw it in neutral and start it back up, A1 again, i turn and start driving and it dies out again and this second time aint fun because now im on a busy street. Crank crank crank and nothing happens, did it till the battery almost died and nothing, you know ya boy smarter than to not carry an extra battery because i know this truck acts up out of nowhere so i pulled my diesel battery out the backseat and hooked it up and as soon i turned the key, starts A1 again, by this time im yelling all the deserts i can think of and i head back home and park it. I don't know what the problem is with this truck but this is only the 4 time its happened to me, the first 3 times were in the driveway and once i started it again it was fine and didnt need to crank for a long time. The 4th time was when i was driving. My wife and MIL say this truck is tempermental and i agree. Im borrowing my FIL powerprobe so i can dive in to so wiring i can see, i dont want to dive too deep but any opinions, or ideas will be helpful for me. Sorry for the long novel of a forum post that i wrote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:35 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Sounds to me like the ECC (Engine Control Module) is acting up. ????
Old 04-27-2019, 01:38 PM

Im not too sure that this truck has a computer in it, its got a small square boxounted on the firewall but my brother in law has already replaced it

EDIT:
I replaced the fuel pump and it starts easier so far, im not trying to get my hopes up, and it scary to drive it because i dont want to get stopped somewhere

Last edited by Sammyes1998; 04-27-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:29 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 359 Likes on 333 Posts
Check voltage to coil while cranking. This could be an Ignition start/run wiring problem.
The following users liked this post:
RacerHog (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 08:38 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Oh I See, So it has been converted to the Mopar Electronic Ignition system already? IF that is the case. Make sure the box is well grounded to where it is mounted. Also With you "Powerprob" make sure the voltages are correct. and if you using the dual ballast resister? Make sure it is good on both sides. and double check the Ignition switch to make sure your getting power to the unit in the crank position. And then keep an eye on the ecu and make sure you not loosing power? Or it's dropping out? If all that is good. Replace the ECU unit with the Orange Box and a good Ignition Coil.

Hope that helps, find it... Good Luck... Tell you Bro-In-Law Thanks for his service's !!!!
The following users liked this post:
Sammyes1998 (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 09:47 AM

I sure will tell him, and thanks for the advice. Im gonna try to go ahead and check it out. Do any of yall know about a website where i can get voltage and resistance references for this truck and engine?