1989 D100 Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 D100 Questions...

So I got this truck for 300$ the other day in running condition. Not to bad eh? Well no matter what fuel I burn it pings under stress, and when I stop at a red light keeps wanting to push and release. Sound like a timing issue?

Problem 2, the frame is cracked at the steering box, I have already had 1/4 inch plates welded over and under the frame at that location. would something like that pass a state inspection? Is it safe?

Problem 3, engine is tired and had a blown expansion plug on the back of the head. I removed the head and replaced the plug. I dont have a ton of money and have more time then I do money so I reused the old head gasket (please dont be mean lol) and intake gasket. The engine still has its power but burns oil so bad it comes into the cab. Would reusing these gaskets cause that and if I wanted to just swap in something with more power what would you recommend? Would the trans hold up to more power?

Sorry my 1st post so a lot of info needed, and thanks in advance.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
head gasket seals an oil passage to the heads. It could possibly leak past the gasket and into the cylinder this would cause pinging ALOT, This could be from reusing the gasket and is only one possible reason for problems. I would also recommend disconnecting the PCV hose from the intake (or where ever it is plugged into), see if this helps any. Oil entering the intake or cylinder WILL cause pinging. Also ,make sure the threads on the intake bolts are sealed with pipe sealer or similar. A cracked intake with a crack in the right spot will suck in oil also. If none of this helps, you are ready for a different motor. at least use some RTV on the intake and intake bolts.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Mopar Fanatic

The only time I have seen the successfull reuse of head gaskets is when they were not on very long or were the copper type. I would never reuse head gaskets myself.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:54 PM

Thanks guys. Any advise on a motor upgrade? The stock 125 horses lack just a bit. Maybe some head or cam upgrades for the same engine? Im sure I would have to go carb for that right?

I have discoed the PCV line from the intake. I really dont even know if I have the vac lines hooked back up right. I dont seem to find a schematic in the manual.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:29 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
What is the motor? V6 or V8 (this model came with both)? If it is a V8, is it a 5.2L (318) or 5.9L (360)? If it is a V8 then most likely you'll have the 5.2L as the D100 is the basic sub-model of the 1/2 ton trucks. The motor that you have, is it carberated or does it have a throttle body with one or two injectors? If you want to do a swap, it may cost you more than you think (depending on the motor you have verse the motor youw ant to go with).

Intake and head gaskets are not intended to be reused. You can by head gaskets for just one side though and they do not cost that much.

With all that being said........

theomahamoparguy is right about the oil causing pinging. Was the motor pinging before you did the fix on the cylinder head or after? If before then it sounds like your timing is off and will need to be adjusted. If after, then you need to pull the intake and head and install new gaskets. Either way, you need to replace those gaskets and reinstall everything correctly.

As far as your cracked frame goes, 1/4" steel is a bit much. You need to actually call up your state DMV or state inspection office if a patched frame is ok or not. State inspection laws vary state to state on this subject.

Your 3rd problem needs new gaskets and you'll ave to answer the questions at the beginning part of this post for us to be able to tell you what motor you can swap to.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:21 PM

What is the motor? V6 or V8
It is the TBI V6 with 4 speed auto trans.

Intake and head gaskets are not intended to be reused. You can by head gaskets for just one side though and they do not cost that much.
Yeah I was in a pinch, no one had the gasket on hand and I needed this truck the next day. I will re do them this spring.

With all that being said........

theomahamoparguy is right about the oil causing pinging. Was the motor pinging before you did the fix on the cylinder head or after?
Before the gasket was redone. Ill play with the timing a bit.

As far as your cracked frame goes, 1/4" steel is a bit much. You need to actually call up your state DMV or state inspection office if a patched frame is ok or not. State inspection laws vary state to state on this subject.
Will do!

Thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 02:37 AM
Admin

Being the TBI V6, if you want to swap it out for a larger motor, you'll have to swap motor, tranny, wiring and computer. Maybe look for a good running truck with a rotted frame/body and swap everythign into your truck.

318 motors are great in these truck. I had an 85 D100 with the slant 6 and a manual years ago. Pulled it all out for a mildly built 383/727 combo. These are great trucks, cheap to come by and parts are relatively easy to find.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:16 PM

Woot thanks man! I know the 318 fit but was not sure if I had the same trans it used. Ill start checking the local junk yards.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:19 AM
Admin

You'll need to swap transmissions as well. The 6 cylinder transmissions can not handle the HP and TQ the V8s put out. Look for a combo, maybe out of a full size van or even a camper.

It may be easier to just buy a rotted out camper so that way you'll have all the parts you may need to do most of the swap. Plus campers can be had for cheap money and then you can scrap the rest to make some of the money back.