Slow crank/no crank issue

Old 05-28-2019, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slow crank/no crank issue

1986 Dodge D150

Finally got my truck to where it would actually turn over, idle and even move back and forth on my driveway. I got overambitious and decided to try to hook up a coolant temp sensor. I tried to start the truck again after doing this and started seeing smoke from behind the dash cluster right above the radio.

Pulled the dash apart and that coolant temp line was arcing against various things. It seemed that the line touching the distributor was causing it to arc, I moved this and it stopped doing this.

However, now when I go to start the truck it will not turn over at all. The starter engages for half a second and then dies.

In getting 12v to the starter, but when I turn the key it goes to 0v

I have 12v at the relay on the fender wall as well.

I pulled the starter out tonight and bench tested it. It had absolutely no problems engaging the gear and spinning it with a lot of power.

I looked at every bit of wiring in the truck from the cab forward and there is nothing burnt, nothing is sparking or smoking when I attempt to turn it over.

I unplugged the coil wire, just to confirm it wasn't about timing or anything like that. The engine itself is not bound up, I was able to turn it by hand with a breaker bar.

Now while looking around for hot/burnt/smoking wires I noticed that the thick red cable that runs from my B&M shifter was getting extremely hot and it runs right by the starter - but it isn't touching it. I have no wires attached to this B&M shifter at all, so I am confused as to why that would be the short.

Only the cable itself is hot, the lever on the transmission that it attaches to is not, and neither is anything up top on the shifter.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-29-2019, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 496 Likes on 479 Posts
I think your problem is under the dash with the ignishion wire. You must have shorted the ignition wiring it should be hot to the coil in run position.
The following users liked this post:
BeatUpOleDodge (05-29-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 11:05 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Mite be a bad fuseable link near the battery.