Weather Stripping gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 05:35 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Weather Stripping gone wrong

I swapped out all the weather stripping on both doors. One door is off a 79 the other off a 78.

Went to put the windows up and both were really stiff. I'm coming off literally no weather stripping - the PO had let it disintegrate so I figured with rust and just the new tight fit a bit stiff was to be expected.

Well, the thing is nearly impossible to work on the driver side and passenger side actually broke.

Looking at it closer, seems like the regulator gear is not going up and down straight. When the window is near the top of its run the regulator is pushing on the door skin. It is the same on both sides.

Anyone have this issue? Anything recommended to look at? I spent a few hours trying to figure it out, can't find where I went wrong.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 498 Likes on 480 Posts
I'd say you had the glass outside of track.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:31 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Iowan
I'd say you had the glass outside of track.
That was my first thought too but triple checked. In track on both sides.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 498 Likes on 480 Posts
If the glass is in the track as the glass goes up there is no way for it to push the door skin outward.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:20 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Iowan
If the glass is in the track as the glass goes up there is no way for it to push the door skin outward.
I'm going to take another look at it tomorrow. I'm wondering if the gear is binding up.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:23 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 871 Likes on 850 Posts
Check to make sure the Felt in the track is not bound up.... Also... Lube the track and the window really well.... Make sure all rollers are in good shape... Make sure the roller tracks are clear and fee and fresh lube has been used. Check the guide rails to made sure they are not bent and that they are bolted in the rite holes....
Good luck.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:41 AM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by RacerHog
Check to make sure the Felt in the track is not bound up.... Also... Lube the track and the window really well.... Make sure all rollers are in good shape... Make sure the roller tracks are clear and fee and fresh lube has been used. Check the guide rails to made sure they are not bent and that they are bolted in the rite holes....
Good luck.

What do you use as lube for these spots?
Old 02-23-2021, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually just did this on my “80” W150 last weekend and I’m wondering if the top of your hands are as cut up as mine.. lol
Not a fun job on my old piece of **** for sure! I’m going to assume you took the wing vent out and installed the new piece and therefore you know for sure you did that right.
the rear channel was a bear to get in and I wouldn’t have wanted to try it without taking the glass out of the regulator and letting it sit at the bottom of the door.
That leaves the back end of the belt line pieces as the main place I can see things getting tight and possibly pinching the glass and leading to your “tight issue”
On mine if you would have clipped into the very back slot the whole damn end would have been down inside the door because the slot was way down in there, where the passenger door was not like that. I’m not sure what year my door is because it was obviously repainted and different than my passenger door. I ended up removing the rearmost clip from the weatherstripping on the inside and the outside piece, and I can’t imagine it not being a major pinch point for the glass if I wouldn’t have. I’d say check that area and also the roller situation as others have said. Mine seemed pretty shaky though and it still works. I had planned to remove it all later and rebuild it some how. Cant seem to find any new manual window regulators anywhere. Anybody else know if they are available anywhere? I’ve seen lots of power ones.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:29 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by 46defense
. Cant seem to find any new manual window regulators anywhere. Anybody else know if they are available anywhere? I’ve seen lots of power ones.

So I ended up realizing that the rivets holding the regulator in were not as rigid as I needed because the regulator was so rusted and worn out. I replaced the regulator and it's working now. Still no go with the inner felt so I just left it off.

I have a door off a 78 and a door off a 79. Bought the manual regulators for a 77. They fit fine. Definitely different than the 79 but the correct mounting locations for the 77 regulator are on the 79 door. I'd say give those 77 regulators a shot.
The following users liked this post:
46defense (03-09-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 01:43 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 871 Likes on 850 Posts
Lube it with silicone spray.... Glad you found some other issues in you search.... Hope it works better after you fix it..
Old 03-09-2021, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tau511
So I ended up realizing that the rivets holding the regulator in were not as rigid as I needed because the regulator was so rusted and worn out. I replaced the regulator and it's working now. Still no go with the inner felt so I just left it off.

I have a door off a 78 and a door off a 79. Bought the manual regulators for a 77. They fit fine. Definitely different than the 79 but the correct mounting locations for the 77 regulator are on the 79 door. I'd say give those 77 regulators a shot.
where on earth did you find the 77’s? And thank you!
Old 03-09-2021, 07:43 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by 46defense
where on earth did you find the 77’s? And thank you!

PARTSGEEK

https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/19...regulator.html

Old 03-10-2021, 03:37 AM

Nice! Thanks. Not bad prices... I ended up finding a set on ebay for 115 I think. So crazy how sporadic parts for these things are! You can get 77 but not 80... lol. And you definitely can not have any upper wing vent pivots! Not for your dodge, no way! I guess someday soon I’ll have to be releasing my custom all billet stainless wing pivots!
Old 01-07-2022, 03:28 PM

Something that I found out was I could not get a 1979 door regulator from anyone, not even Dorman. There were regulators for the previous year, and then the parts jumped to 82 or something like that. I don't know what the differences are, but the local parts gurus don't hav a number for one. I would like to find a regulator for my 79, but it's going to have to be a part refurbished from a door of that year. I tried to find a manufacturer and ended up trying to get a response from a Chinese company that claimed they manufactured them. They have not responded to my challenge that the 1978 part number they have will not fit a 1979 even though they imply it will in their on line catalogues. Trying to get one of those Chinese companies to confirm or warrantee a fit is like trying to tackle a greased pig....
Old 01-07-2022, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Joyce
Something that I found out was I could not get a 1979 door regulator from anyone, not even Dorman. There were regulators for the previous year, and then the parts jumped to 82 or something like that. I don't know what the differences are, but the local parts gurus don't hav a number for one. I would like to find a regulator for my 79, but it's going to have to be a part refurbished from a door of that year. I tried to find a manufacturer and ended up trying to get a response from a Chinese company that claimed they manufactured them. They have not responded to my challenge that the 1978 part number they have will not fit a 1979 even though they imply it will in their on line catalogues. Trying to get one of those Chinese companies to confirm or warrantee a fit is like trying to tackle a greased pig....

I bought the 77’s or 78’s for my 80 like the thread says. Don’t you think they will work for your 79 as well? I haven’t installed them yet but…