Carb Adjustment Needed and Accelerator Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 482 Posts
Something's not correct....vacuum leak at the throttle shaft or something. Have you tried moving the throttle shaft in the carb base to see if theres play?
Old 10-18-2021, 06:18 PM
Mopar Fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not trying to imply anything, I do with all respect appreciate all of you and your advice, Just so we are on the same page. The choke is always open, I assume because the thermostat rod and spring are both missing from the carb, The vacuum stopper rod that also operates the choke as the carb warms, is missing Vacuum break. I know the carb should have all of this working but the vehicle was bought this way and I have not rebuilt the carb or replaced it, Yes cold start is a pain till vehicle warms up, The fast idle screw is on the second highest step on the idle cam. I borrowed a tach for that RPM so don't have another way to check the idle RPM again now. Is 600 RPM to low?? In idle it doesn't stall and when I put it in gear it also doesn't stall, Drove it 15 miles today like this. The base gasket isn't new by any means, But carb feels firm on the intake, The carbs base screws are also tight. There are ports that are

plugged off on this carb was like this when I bought it as well. Yeah I know these issues with the carb is one of the reasons why I have had issues with the carb, Is what I have presently and trying to make do with what I can. I don't own a tach or dwell wish I did. I don't see play or anything loose at all, Even when I throttle it sounds okay as far as I can tell. The pedal seems to have better throttle response to when I push it now with the vacuum being at 18 Hg now, So I don't know. What should the highest vacuum reading be at idle? What should the highest vacuum be when I put the vehicle in gear with foot on the brake? Should vacuum drop when you put the vehicle into gear holding the brake? What should the RPM be at idle? What should the idle be when I put the vehicle into gear? Thank You

Last edited by War_Book; 10-18-2021 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 482 Posts
I realize what you've tried and what you are working with, I simply wanted to know if there is play in the throttle shaft. This is a wear point on older carburetors and will cause a vacuum leak. Needing to turn the idle ajustment screws out so far says to me you have a vacuum leak.
while turning the ajustment screws out can help with idle they do nothing for fuel enrichment off idle...
Old 10-18-2021, 08:18 PM
Mopar Fan

Originally Posted by Iowan
I realize what you've tried and what you are working with, I simply wanted to know if there is play in the throttle shaft. This is a wear point on older carburetors and will cause a vacuum leak. Needing to turn the idle ajustment screws out so far says to me you have a vacuum leak.
while turning the ajustment screws out can help with idle they do nothing for fuel enrichment off idle...

No sir the throttle shaft doesn't wiggle at all, Doesn't feel like any other play then just normal operating movement, If that is the correct term to use.
The following users liked this post:
Iowan (10-18-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 01:42 PM
Mopar Fan

Yeah I don't get it either, I have checked the carb all over and even used a little spray to see if there is a vacuum leak at the intake and carb and nothing bubbles or sucks showing a vacuum leak. I tried again to drop those Air and Fuel Mixtures from 3 turns out back to just 2 1/2 out when I try the vacuum drops, So I will just leave them at 3 turns out, I am running a little rich at the pipes but with this setting my highest vacuum is still at 18 Hg so heck I will just leave it I guess. Even though I can smell a little gas the gas needle seems to not be showing anymore gas usage then it normally does. Wish I had a Mopar engine mechanic where I live I really could use one right now but I don't in this town. If I had a wish and a dream before my time on earth is done it would be to have this engine rebuilt, a new intake and a new carb on it, Now that would be something special in a memory. Till I hit the Lotto guess I will just keep dreaming that memory.

Last edited by War_Book; 10-19-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:20 AM
Mopar Fan

I decided to take the 1977 Dodge Aspen Door Coupe out of town to a place called Auto Dynamic's a friend of mine recommended them to me, They specialize in rebuilding all type of cylinder engines and other stuff and have been in business for over 20 years, Saw a old school Malibu up there have not seen one of those in a very long time it was cool, Anyways When I pulled up they had four different engines on stands that they were rebuilding anyways I popped the hood and with there timing light they checked my timing per fender sticker
said the timing was good per the factory fender sticker.

RPM was to high though was like 1200 at idle. They set the idle per factory fender sticker specification. They also tweaked my Air

and Fuel mixture screws for me, One guy checking the timing and another guy doing the adjustments. Everything has been reset to the fender sticker specifications, Even with the crappy gas we have now days, Runs like a new car now even though the carb has seen better days. Anyways asked the old man what do I owe you sir a simple hand shake was good enough, No Charge and he told me nice Aspen you have there sir, I replied Thank You I appreciate it ! Nicest set of guys that I have ever met in my life,. We are back in business now.

Last edited by War_Book; 10-20-2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:50 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
Sounds like it was close.... Glad you got a timing light on it.... Mopar on...