Starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 07:46 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter issue

I don't know if any of this is related or not, but I was working on trying to adjust the the temp control cable on my 76 cordoba (400, 4bl). I was fiddling under the dash where the heater/AC control is. I don't know that I messed with anything else, but now, the car won't start. I turn the key and nothing (except the seat belt light and buzzer). no click, nothing.

I was thinking that maybe coincidentally, my starter relay may have gone bad, or I accidentally messed up the wiring from the ignition switch to the Relay or Starter.

Any insight on this would be great.

Also, where is the starter relay located on this vehicle?

As always any help or advise is appreciated.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Starter relay is easily recognized, "they all look the same" from about 1960? except for the mounting bracket, like this........... https://www.google.com/search?q=mopa...w=1138&bih=555

Some of the newer ones (Jeeps) are slightly different with one extra contact. I'm not sure could it be that your car has the dreaded seat belt interlock? Look for a small box under the hood about the size of a starter relay with a great big reset button sticking out the top, like this

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...ter/IMG263.jpg

If you have one of those, best to just bypass it. There will be two yellow or yellow / tracer wires going to it. Clip those off and permanently splice them together. They are the start wire in series to the starter relay Other than that you may have bumped something loose, including the connector for the ignition switch, which comes out of the steering colum, or the bulkhead/ firewall connector, which is known for problems

Try holding the key to "start" and wiggle the shift lever from park to neutral
Old 11-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 440roadrunner
Starter relay is easily recognized, "they all look the same" from about 1960? except for the mounting bracket, like this........... https://www.google.com/search?q=mopa...w=1138&bih=555

Some of the newer ones (Jeeps) are slightly different with one extra contact. I'm not sure could it be that your car has the dreaded seat belt interlock? Look for a small box under the hood about the size of a starter relay with a great big reset button sticking out the top, like this

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...ter/IMG263.jpg

If you have one of those, best to just bypass it. There will be two yellow or yellow / tracer wires going to it. Clip those off and permanently splice them together. They are the start wire in series to the starter relay Other than that you may have bumped something loose, including the connector for the ignition switch, which comes out of the steering colum, or the bulkhead/ firewall connector, which is known for problems

Try holding the key to "start" and wiggle the shift lever from park to neutral

Thanks,

I found the relay! (on a 76 Cordoba, its right on the fire wall (engine bay side) in front of the steering wheel. I checked the connections on the relay (jiggled and made sure they were on all the way) and it started up. I don't know if I moved one of the connections when I was working on the heater. It seems as if that is what happened.

I may replace the relay as the one on there is looking a bit rusty and worn.

I don't think this car has a seatbelt interlock. As I recall, they only lasted for one year, 1974 I think.

Its funny about the wiring in these cars though, because I see a lot of connectors that go no where. I guess they may be in place for options that I don't have on the car.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2013, 08:09 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Yup, and the newer the car the more options, used or unused, LOL