Misfire to cam and lifters question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misfire to cam and lifters question

Ok, so these are pretty well documented but I have a question.. My son has been swapping new coils and plugs as the misfires keep coming. Of course never taking the time to do them all at once. 🙄 But cylinder 4 didn’t come around like that. Compression test was very suspect only getting to like 150 instead of the 230 or so for the other 5 we checked. I know those numbers seem high but you know how all these Chinese tools go. Was more just looking for evenness and not the actual numbers. Leak down test passed though and cylinder 6 showed an issue? Next I removed the valve cover and saw the #4 rocker was shifted off the valve and the pushrod looks like a banana. Can anyone confirm that this is a 100% chance the lifter has failed and taken out the cam? I think it is but my boss isn’t so sure. He likes to argue.

Old 11-02-2023, 04:22 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 871 Likes on 850 Posts
Compression test and a Leak Down test notmaily will not lie to you........
What I see with the " Rocker Arm" >>>> To me it appears to have a Bent Valve.... If you notice the Rocker Arm pattern on the Valve is no longer in line with the following of what the rocker arm would indicate..... That leads me to think the Valve is bent.....

Now as for the Missing issue.... Cant fix that until the Mechanical Parts are sorted out....
As for the camshaft being bad at this point.... Who knows... I would take a Borescope and feed it down there and have a look and if the lifter is still in its place? Or Did the valve bend and bend up the push rod?

Keep us posted..... Cheers.... Lets see what others have to say....
The following users liked this post:
46defense (11-03-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 498 Likes on 480 Posts
Rocker assemblys are a wear item and can be replaced fairly inexpensively, the rocker is clearly pushed off the top of the valve. I would hope that you do not fire or run the motor at this point because you run the risk of dropping the valve witch is common as are bent valve’s. Both cause complete engine failure if given the chance.
The following users liked this post:
46defense (11-03-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerHog
Compression test and a Leak Down test notmaily will not lie to you........
What I see with the " Rocker Arm" >>>> To me it appears to have a Bent Valve.... If you notice the Rocker Arm pattern on the Valve is no longer in line with the following of what the rocker arm would indicate..... That leads me to think the Valve is bent.....

Now as for the Missing issue.... Cant fix that until the Mechanical Parts are sorted out....
As for the camshaft being bad at this point.... Who knows... I would take a Borescope and feed it down there and have a look and if the lifter is still in its place? Or Did the valve bend and bend up the push rod?

Keep us posted..... Cheers.... Lets see what others have to say....
Im not sure how the rod got bent but that is the only thing that keeps the rocker arm in place on the valve. It should be butted up to the square part. Not sure what’s up with valve either but the boy got the intake off today and I got the exhaust bolts out so head will come off tomorrow and then we’ll know what’s up with the cam. At least I assume I’ll be able to see it at that point. I know I saw another guys write up somewhere and his looked exactly like mine except his was cylinder 6 and his ended up being the failed lifter and ate up cam. Not sure how that bends a rod but we shall see. Thanks for the replies! I will update tomorrow!