Engine Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
na mate you will find it costs more to build your own engine .
if you do i like low deck big blocks 383's are cheap and are every where .
forged cranks std . the good thing about big block a are they are so strong & last for ever . & there not that much bigger or heavier .
look at muscle motors complete short blocks & crate engines can't go wrong .
Old 01-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
First off, your going to have to find yourself a car. After that, figure out if it really need to have the motor rebuilt or not. A lot of the time you can do simple add-ons and not have to worry abou the block itself (intake, carb, headers, heads, ignition, etc). You would be suprised how much you can get done in a day.

If you have not had any experience or taken classes on rebuilding motors, I would save it for when you have the time, money and someone you trust that can do it with you.

Depending on what you do get for a vehicle and if the motor needs work, it does not always mean that the tranny needs work as well. I have seen plenty of vehicles that needed the bottom end rebuilt of the block and the tranny was just fine.

Like I said, Find a car that you love and then hit us up about it and we will try to do our best to guide you in the right path.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 78D200
First off, your going to have to find yourself a car. After that, figure out if it really need to have the motor rebuilt or not. A lot of the time you can do simple add-ons and not have to worry abou the block itself (intake, carb, headers, heads, ignition, etc). You would be suprised how much you can get done in a day.

If you have not had any experience or taken classes on rebuilding motors, I would save it for when you have the time, money and someone you trust that can do it with you.

Depending on what you do get for a vehicle and if the motor needs work, it does not always mean that the tranny needs work as well. I have seen plenty of vehicles that needed the bottom end rebuilt of the block and the tranny was just fine.

Like I said, Find a car that you love and then hit us up about it and we will try to do our best to guide you in the right path.
X2
Old 01-24-2009, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP

PLEASEEEEE CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THE BEST THING TO DO WITH MY 1991 DODGE DAYTONA 6G72 AS FAR AS ENGINE SWAPPING GOES???? IM STUMPED AND I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE SWAPPING ENGINES
Old 01-25-2009, 07:13 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 78D200

WOW Well said 3x on that
Old 02-02-2009, 02:06 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1973 duster
hi i need some advise i own a 1973 duster i have a 440 that the numbers on block say 440-3 what is the 3 and it was made 4/1/75 can anyone tell me what horse and torque it has and cheap ways to get horse power and torque i am a father of 3 and one on the way the wife is all for the build icurrently have a mini tub 6 point roll cage dana 44 rear end 31 16.50.15 in street slicks i want to domost of my own work and just need some advice on what to do to get most POWER FOR CHEAP
750 carb , dual plane manifold & 1 in carb spacer , windage tray , msd blaster coil / elctronic ignition , 2200 - 2500 stall converter , extractors . no air cleaner & open headers @ the track . good tune up . mopar muscle .com has some good cyl head tips .
some other free things make your own cold air ducting , use ice / dry ice can incorperated in the duct design so air flows over the cold surfaces .
make a fuel cooler or just tape or strap ice / dry ice around your stock steel fuel line .
block off your exhaust cross over port , you can buy a gasket for this or braze a block off plate .
use morleys or lucus upper cyl lube with you fuel ect to try & clean your heads , even take your extractors / exhaust manifold off clean in side them & while there off clean your exhaust ports best you can .
mate just some free or cheap things to do . one thing may not do much but do em all or a few things & you could knock off 1-2 seconds off your time . you have a light car & big motor .