My new ride - Mopar Forums

My new ride

Old 10-22-2018, 02:55 AM

My new ride

Okay, I'm new here and havent had too much experience with cars this old but I just bought my 63 New Yorker thats been sitting for 10 years at a shop after a trans rebuild and the owner just never came back for it. It ran when parked, but that was a decade ago. Its been washed since the picture but I'm wondering is there anything in particular I should do before attempting to start it? Everything seems there save a few spark plugs And wires. And how do I go about cleaning up the interior? Also who offers classic insurance that doesn't require it be garaged? I've got a few other problems but these are the most prominent. Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:04 PM
Mopar Lover

Welcome... Nice project....
Hagerty for insurance....
add back the plug wires... add some fuel.... make sure it has oil in it... Light it off and see if it runs..... If that works out for the moment... then do a service and inspection from head to toe and replace anything that is needed...
Old 10-23-2018, 01:49 AM

Thanks, I just got my quote from Hagerty, and I was going to go about service backwards and probably die of anticipation of the first crank. Should be picking it up either tomorrow or Wednesday
Old 10-25-2018, 04:01 PM

Before I tried to start it I would put a wrench on the crank nut and try to turn it by hand. If it turns fairly easy then give it a go and see if it will fire.

If not get some Marvel Mystery Oil and pour some into each cylinder. Let it set for a day or two without the plugs installed and try to turn it again. If it won't turn or moves slightly but is hard to turn let it set some more. Keep repeating the process until it turn fairly easy before trying to start it. Once you decide it is ready to start crank it over a few times with the plugs still not installed and it will push a lot of the oil out of the plug holes yeah it will make a mess but better than trying to start it with all the oil in the cylinders and the hydrostatic pressure it will cause. At the same time you will be priming the oil pump so that it does not start dry. Now put the plugs back in it, cross your fingers and give it a go.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:59 AM

Good morning guys, finally got to do some wrench turning yesterday. I guess Sunday will be my only free day for a while. I got the new plugs in replaced the wires and fixed some of the rat damage on battery and starter cables. Put in a spare battery and it turns! No kick even with ether so checking the coil and timing next. I feel a little better now that ive made a tiny bit of progress
Old 10-29-2018, 11:33 AM
Mopar Lover

Progress is good...
Old 10-29-2018, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Keep us posted on your adventur.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:00 PM

Great project!
Old 11-10-2018, 01:55 AM

It's been a while, but I did finally get her running and she sounds surprisingly well. A little rough as expected but strong. Ive been working 12's 7 days a week so havent had time to dive in but I did notice I need a gas tank so I had to rig an external tank to test run it. Mine is full of 10yo slime that was once considered gas I'm sure.. It will likely be a while before I can get back underneath but I'll still be doing small things here and there. Next up, brakes
Old 11-10-2018, 11:18 AM
Mopar Lover

Sounds like you made some good headway !!!! Keep Chipping at it, One thing at a time. Sounds like you have a heavy work load... Keep us posted... Looking forward to hearing that it's on the road.