How to make car start up better?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to make car start up better?

I have a 74 318 with a single plane (soon to be duel) aluminum manifold, headers, duel exhaust, 600 cfm carb. The car doesnt start the best. I think it has been getting worse too. I either have to crank it over a bunch and hope my battery doesnt die or use starting fluid. My carb probably needs to be rebuilt but im going to the Mopars In The Park car show this weekend and dont have time to rebuild it before then. Is there any adjustments or easy fixes that will make it start easier? Would upgrading starter help? Would adjusting the timing help (it may be off, i havent checked)?

It was a little better before i messed with the idle speed and idle mixture screws, could this have affected the bad starting?
Old 05-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
Not trying to make fun of you, but you have essentially just asked "why is there air?"

That is, this could be a number of things wrong

1--Could be an ignition problem, IE poor spark, and the causes are many

2--Could be a vapor lock/ fuel boiling problem, does this ALWAYS happen, or only when cold, or only when hot?

3--Since you seem to think the carb needs rebuilt, this might just be a good guess. Take a light if necessary, block the choke open if it is not, and look down the carb throats. Pump the throttle and you should see two good solid squirts of fuel from the accelerator pump. This "pump shot" should start instantly when you move the throttle "off idle."

4--Just how did you set the idle? "Generally" you want the car hot, and set the idle MIXTURE screws for highest idle speed or highest vacuum, with the screw "just a touch" towards clockwise, and alternate between the two, and the idle speed so that when done, you get the idle speed you want.

5--Timing? Where is the initial timing set?
Old 05-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Yeah sorry I didn't really realize that. Okay it may be an ignition problem, I replaced the spark plugs, wires, and cap and rotor. Where would be the next place I should check? Coil? Distributor?

It only happens when its cold, it usually fires right up when its warmed up.

I'm confused on your #3. While its running hold the choke open and rev it to see if it sprays a solid squirt?

I adjusted the idle just like you said and it idles a lot better than it did before.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Mopar Fanatic

I don't have a timing light but my uncle has one that I can use.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 145 Likes on 141 Posts
What carb does it have? manual or electric choke? Manual or electric fuel pump? The fuel could be draining back and needs to crank to get the fuel back in the carb. My guess is a fuel problem pump the gas pedel a few times before cranking it to see if it starts better. Also alot of people are so use to fuel injection that they forget you have to give it one shot to the floor before cranking it to set the choke. Keep us posted... Bill
Old 05-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 103 Likes on 103 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 74Runneer
Yeah sorry I didn't really realize that. Okay it may be an ignition problem, I replaced the spark plugs, wires, and cap and rotor. Where would be the next place I should check? Coil? Distributor?

It only happens when its cold, it usually fires right up when its warmed up.

I'm confused on your #3. While its running hold the choke open and rev it to see if it sprays a solid squirt?

I adjusted the idle just like you said and it idles a lot better than it did before.
on his #3... engine off, choke open, push the throttle back and see if you get two solid streams of fuel spraying into the throttle bores one stream per bore
Old 05-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 74Runneer
I have a 74 318 with a single plane (soon to be duel) aluminum manifold, headers, duel exhaust, 600 cfm carb. The car doesnt start the best. I think it has been getting worse too. I either have to crank it over a bunch and hope my battery doesnt die or use starting fluid. My carb probably needs to be rebuilt but im going to the Mopars In The Park car show this weekend and dont have time to rebuild it before then. Is there any adjustments or easy fixes that will make it start easier? Would upgrading starter help? Would adjusting the timing help (it may be off, i havent checked)?

It was a little better before i messed with the idle speed and idle mixture screws, could this have affected the bad starting?
74Runneer,

For what its worth, my car was hard starting about a month ago. Lots of turning the engine wearing my battery down. I had a "GUT" feeling it was the carb. I hired a master engine builder / carb expert to fine tune the carb. 30-40 minutes later he had my car starting with almost just the turn of the key. He also recommended rebuilding my carb at a later date.

If you have a Carb genius in your area you may want to explore that avenue. My floats, idle and other things were not nearly where they needed to be. I paid $125 for his time. Best money in a "pinch" I've spent so far...

It could also be your coil (I've replaced this too since) $45

It could also be that your not getting the same voltage from your battery to your starter. Get a "voltage checker thingy" hehe at Harbor Freight or the like $7.99 and test your volts on the battery and then test the volts at your starter. They should be identical. But, test the starter with the battery disconnected.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Mopar Fanatic

Okay so i forgot to mention that its an electric choke. It usually starts better if i pump the gas pedal a couple of time then hold it to the floor when i turn it. I can check to see if the volts are the same but it seems like its cranking over fine but it just sits and cranks forever. Today i just tried starting it again and i had to use starter fluid and it started right up. Im not sure what kind of fuel pump i have, electric or manual, how do i go about checking that?