69' coronet/superbee questions problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
69' coronet/superbee questions problems

hey guys whats up! new here, and i got questions and problems already. so here it is. i have my dad's 69 coronet/super bee clone and #1 the clutch doesn't grab till i have the pedal either all the way out or almost all the way out. i have the pushrod adjustment on the clutch fork almost all the way out and thats what i got. it's just past the point where the return spring for the clutch fork has enough tension to pull the pedal back to the full up position. it has a ram clutch in it which my dad put in brand new before he passed and the car sat for about close to 10 yrs before i started to get to it (now) so the clutch is more or less brand new. #2 problem, the shifter. i can find all gears except reverse. when i installed it i lined up all the arms with a pin (i'm guessing this is a neutral position), i then put all the gear selectors on the side of the trans in the neutral position and then adjusted the linkages to the selectors. the shifter wants to go to the reverse gate but wont actually engage reverse.

unfortunately the guy who my old man bought this car from was a total hacker and the car leaves quite a bit to be desired in some areas. things you wouldn't notice until you had a need to get "into" the car.

and last but not least, where is a good place to buy resto parts from. i need a new, full set of brake lines. (4 wheel drum, manual, eww)

any help here would be greatly appreciated

thanks
ed
Old 01-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Welcome to the forums and you might want to check oodering@inlinetube.com or www.classictube.com and www.rightstuffdetailing.com for your brake lines but try and get the SS lines , they will last longer and look better and as far as the clutch i would check the arms in the middle of the clutch as even beeing new 10 yrs ago they accumulate moisture and once pushed one can drop and screw your whole day up , and as far as alinging the linkage up it seem you are doing it right with the lining of the holes with a pin but adjust the threaded rod from that point and check the bushings to see if any of them are worn out
Old 01-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
is the throughout bering 10 years old?
if so, you'd probably want to replace that
Old 01-04-2009, 06:06 PM

thanks for the input guys. i will take it into consideration, although i think there is more to it than just it's age (clutch) i must be overlooking something with the adjustment. this car is a conglomeration of factory, aftermarket, and homemade parts. regardless of the parts the bottom line is that the guy who "restored" it should have all his tools taken away from him, after he was beaten with them ofcourse.
anyway thanks again guys.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
no problem
keep us updated
Old 01-04-2009, 07:36 PM
Mopar Lover

hahahahahaha ,,,, have you checked to see if its the right rod and fork in it and i would even check all the rods into the matter make sure they are the right ones but i would also check the pressure plate
Old 01-05-2009, 07:05 AM

yeah i am leaning towards something with the adjuster hardware. this car was originally an automatic and was converted to manual. so who know what was used in this conversion.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:12 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I would start looking at a hydrolic clutch kit (one with a slave cylinder) and replace what sounds like a "thrown together with what I found around my garage" linkage. Unless you can find a complete linkage setup off of another coronet or superbee either locally or off of e-bay, I would go hydro.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:13 AM
Admin

Received 200 Likes on 195 Posts
Have you pulled the tranny by chance to look/inspect the clutch?
Old 01-05-2009, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by 78D200
Have you pulled the tranny by chance to look/inspect the clutch?
no i havent pulled the trans, i'm kinda hoping that all is well and it doesn't need to come to that. but i suppose it might be worth a shot. i mean i trust my old mans mechanical ability because he taught me how to do it all but maybe like you guys are saying maybe the fingers on the pressure plate are bad.

aside from that issue. does anybody have any thoughts on the shifter issue. where i can get the shifter into the reverse gate but it wont engae into reverse. i don't think it's an issue with the trans, i am suspecting the shifter itself. when i was foolong with it i did manage to get reverse a few times but then i remember in trying to pull the shifter over and up, it felt as if though something bent a bit. now could there be a slot or passageway that the arm travels in/through that could be holding it back if the arm is bent? i'm trying to invision the inside of that shifter mechanism but don't know what it look like in order to trouble shoot it. maybe one of you guys have an idea.

thanks
Old 01-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Mopar Lover

If the trans was a throw together, and it has a side cover from a 71 or newer trans, the cover has cross arms on them that are made of thin steel. they had a BAD habit of bending inder pressure of hard shifting. they couldnt take the beating like the 66-70 detent ball cover. anyway those arms if bent or broken wont engage a gear or may not allow the trans to go into full nuetral to go to rev.you may have to drop the trans and pull the side cover. or there may be busted pcs. in the bottom of the case that are wedged up against the rev. gear. it should slide right in. where are you located?
Old 01-14-2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by rr69half6bbl
If the trans was a throw together, and it has a side cover from a 71 or newer trans, the cover has cross arms on them that are made of thin steel. they had a BAD habit of bending inder pressure of hard shifting. they couldnt take the beating like the 66-70 detent ball cover. anyway those arms if bent or broken wont engage a gear or may not allow the trans to go into full nuetral to go to rev.you may have to drop the trans and pull the side cover. or there may be busted pcs. in the bottom of the case that are wedged up against the rev. gear. it should slide right in. where are you located?
hey sorry about that i have been quite busy with some projects lately and have not been checking in lately. but i am in central jersey to answer youquestion. i seem to suspect that i bent something on the shifter. i swear i felt something give a bit when i was trying to pull the stick over and up. but i will keep that in mind as well. also does anyone have an idea how much a front disc conversion would be for that thing. something around 500ish would be great. i'm not looking for performance just something better than drums
Old 01-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Mopar Lover

hey BB there are some cool brake sellers out there that have them around 500.00ish but im not home to look but if you check some of the other threads we have there are answers in there some where im sure of but if you cant find them or one of the other guys might remember
Old 01-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Mopar Lover

Where abouts Central Jersey are you? There is a good parts store I use in Waretown called The Parts Shack, might want to check them out they are usually reasonably priced. Their number is 609-242-2420.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:58 PM

i'm in sayreville. i heard of waretown but can't say i know where it is. i will keep it in mind though. thanks
Old 01-17-2009, 05:27 AM
Mopar Lover

Oh ok, I have heard of that, it's right off exit 69 on the GSP.