TRW, thompson power steering pump kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TRW, thompson power steering pump kit ?

Does anyone know where I can buy a power steering rebuild kit for a 69-74 trw power steering pump? Big block 383.

Last edited by Brace21; 11-28-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:40 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 870 Likes on 849 Posts
Napa auto parts use to sell them..
Old 11-28-2017, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by RacerHog
Thanks, I sent them a request, see if they come up with anything.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:26 PM

you seem to know your stuff maybe you can help me out. The car the power steering pump is in is a 1970 cuda with a 383. I beleive the 383 came out of a 1974 pu.
I am pretty much positive the pump is a trw going by the notch in the back but what has me really puzzled is why the belt is riding on a angle, not square, surprising it doesnt fall off pulley, unfortunately its hard to get a pic of that but I was wondering if you can tell by looking at the mounting bracket what pump is suppose to be on it. Or is the bracket bent?
i give up trying to locate a rebuild kit for the trw so now its either buy a trw, federal or a saginow but I dont want to have to replace everything due to the cost.
Got any ideas?

Last edited by Brace21; 12-01-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:26 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 870 Likes on 849 Posts
Looks like the Federal Or Thompson pump....
Got a hunch.... I'm guessing you have a missed matched set of pulleys causing misalignment....
With the power steering bracket bent like it looks like it is.I would not dought that this might have had air conditioning at one point mounted on that engine.

This is for the Thompson pump:>>>>
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PSK7105

But with all that being said.... I think the the Cuda took the Saginaw Power Steering Pump... The pump you have on their is more than likely way to sensitive in the steering department?
Just my 2 cents

Last edited by RacerHog; 12-01-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:21 PM

Got a hunch.... I'm guessing you have a missed matched set of pulleys causing misalignment....
With the power steering bracket bent like it looks like it is.I would not dought that this might have had air conditioning at one point mounted on that engine.

But with all that being said.... I think the the Cuda took the Saginaw Power Steering Pump... The pump you have on their is more than likely way to sensitive in the steering department?
Just my 2 cents
Thanks for info and the link for napa. I emailed napa Canada seeing I live in B.C. and they told me they cant get a rebuild kit for a trw/thompson pump, go figure, I have never in my life come across such a bizzare amount of pumps, brackets and pulleys for a big block engine, to me its just crazy. I can see it over a 20 period but its basically over less than a 10 yr period from what I can see.
I bought the car 6 yrs ago with the pump leaking but not as bad as it is now and although I would like a heavier feel to the wheel or maybe just harder to turn Im not really sure if the pump is to sensitive seeing I have nothing to guage it againest. Now you have thinking I should just suck it up and replace the whole system, but with what?
Old 12-03-2017, 09:36 PM

Just my 2 cents
Thanks for the input and the link. Napa U.S.A wont ship here.
I emailed Napa Canada seeing I live in BC an was told they dont have the kit, I decided I would go to the closest Napa store to see if your part # would work, yuppers, yippee!!!! Get this though, your link shows the kit for about $18, it cost me $65 here!!
Hopfully that will fix the leak. Now I just have to see if I can straighten the mount bracket or find a new one.
Thank you very much for the part #, I have honestly spent atleast 10 hours online looking for a kit with no luck at all.
If your ever my way I owe you some beers.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:32 PM

Just my 2 cents
Thank you very much for the part number, I wasnt sure it would be the same number in Canada but it worked, just waiting for it to arrive. Crazy, $18 there and $48 here but if it fits I dont care.