75 Power Wagon won't start but then does

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 75 Power Wagon won't start but then does

I have a Dodge 75 Power Wagon 100 and the truck runs well, but it has this issue of not starting at times. Numerous times I have gotten in the truck and turned over the key and have gotten zero noise, no click, no nothing. The engine doesn't turn over at all, doesn't make any sound. Then, I let it sit overnight and the truck turns over the next morning no problem.

Could this be a starter problem? I know that there is a control module on the firewall (over the drivers side tire) that I have had to replace one time before. Doesn't that have something to do with the ignition? Maybe it's a loose connection, but I usually don't touch any of the wires under the hood between the time in the evening it won't start and the next morning when it does start. Stumped.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Try just moving the shift selector for park to neutral and then back to park and see if that makes a difference....
Old 07-21-2015, 12:43 AM

Thanks Bob, I will try that next time it occurs.
Mike
Old 07-21-2015, 08:36 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
You don't have a "control module," you have a simple relay. Very simple. When in park or neutral, the center pin of the neutral safety switch provides a ground on one end of the starter relay coil. The ignition switch sends a signal to that relay

So in that control circuit could be an ignition switch going bad, bad connection in the bulkhead connector, bad relay, bad neutral safety switch, or transmission shift linkage a little off.

Not as complicated as it sounds. "Next time" it happens "arm" yourself, with a 12V test lamp and / or a multimeter, and some alligator clip leads

Your start relay should look something like this:

The two "quick connect" terminals are the ones we are immediately concerned with. Next time this happens, as above, 'wiggle' the shift lever through P-R-N and see if it cranks or you get a start.

If not open the hood, examine, and find which wire goes down to the transmission. DISconnect that connector, and take an alligator clip and GROUND that now disconnected relay terminal.

BE CAREFUL this removes your neutral protection. Be CERTAIN it's in PARK and hold the brake. See if it starts. If so, it's "down there" in the neutral switch, wiring, or linkage.

If the above is NOT the case, try taking a screwdriver and jumpering the two large exposed terminals. This should cause the engine to crank. If so, you may have a bad relay.

Post back. You'll have to wait till it fails.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:39 PM

Okay, I have wiggled that relay before and the truck has started after I have wiggled it. Maybe it's not getting a good ground or bad connections. Next time it fails, I will try the test light along with your method. I will print it out.
Thanks, Mike
Old 07-24-2015, 08:44 AM
Mopar Fanatic

There are basically two (maybe three) failure modes for that relay.

1...Coil bad or bad connections from the coil leads to the coil terminals. In this case, it might "work" sometimes or not at all, probably not at all

2...Relay contacts corroded, or rust inside causing the relay armature to be sticky. Depending on what is wrong, that is, free armature, but bad contacts, it might work sometimes BUT IT will "click" when the key is turned. If the armature is gummed / rusted up, it won't click

3....Might not BE the relay. But in this case, you WILL hear the relay click if you listen as the key is turned. In this case could be bad wiring from the relay to the solenoid, or a starter going / gone bad.
The following users liked this post:
mcarroll (07-25-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 05:18 PM

Thanks, I'm going to do some snooping around with a test light and also clean any connections as well. I'll listen for a click in relay as well. I'm assuming these relays are probably cheap so it may not be a bad idea to just buy one and keep in truck.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:27 AM
Mopar Fanatic

Actually those fail very seldom.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:33 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 386 Likes on 381 Posts
starter

I remember one time a friends Dakota truck would not start. Told him to bang on the starter ? a QUICK wack and the truck started..
Old 08-23-2015, 08:49 PM

It looks as if it was the Relay

Wasn't able to start it again. I was able to jump it and the starter turned over when putting a screwdriver across the two bolts on the relay. No clicking sound on the relay at all and I remember when the battery was dead, that the relay used to click all the time. I went to Napa and got a new relay and when my battery died trying to start it so often, I did hear clicking all the time in the Relay. I charged the battery and have had no problems since starting the truck. Looks like it was the relay.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:38 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 869 Likes on 848 Posts
Glad you got it fixed....