Dead 5.7 Hemi? Compression help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead 5.7 Hemi? Compression help needed.

Hello all I'm posting here because the wife's 2006 5.7 Jeep Commander Hemi is dead....If there is a more suited forum for 3rd Gen Hemi discussion, please guide me that way...

Engine blew a heater hose and my wife kept driving till it shut down from overheating. I get it towed home and have the following codes:

Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected (may have been preexisting)
Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Bank 1 or Single Sensor
HO2s Heater Control High Bank 2 Sensor 2 (may have been pre existing)
Engine Oil Temp Sensor A Circuit Low
Engine Coolant Temp Sensor 1 Circuit Low

Jeep won't start and has issues cracking over. I found no water in the oil and oil level was fine. Before, I start ordering sensors and o2 sensors, I did a compression check w/ the starter only. Cracking the engine over was very weak and slightly erratic. I only found about 40-90 PSI on 5 cylinders and 0 PSI on #1, 2 & 7. Tell me if I did the compression test correctly. I only pulled one plug (of the two) at a time, cranked w/ the starter and read the gauge, reinstalled the plug loosely and moved on to the next cyclinder. I didn't pull a single plug on all cylinders prior to taking individual readings. Maybe I should have?

I could smell and see fuel on each plug I pulled. No water was observed in any cylinders and #8's plug was fouled w/ oil which I think was a preexisting issue (valve seal?). At this time, I'm anticipating blown head gaskets or worse....

Also, I know this engine has some way of running on fewer cyclinder at cruise for fuel economy. Is there anything special I need to do to compression check this engine.

Thank you in advance.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 482 Posts
There are many common failures on modern engines that overheat. Head gasket, valve seats, dropped valve’s, burned rings, etc.. so with no compression in a few holes your motor is probably toast and you should probably look for a replacement.
good luck with your search
Old 05-22-2022, 12:56 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 872 Likes on 851 Posts
OR find a wrecking yard near you that has a known good used engine to replace yours with.
Most all those other codes are not related to the failure.