LED Signals - Only work with engine NOT running??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 06:15 AM
Mopar Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Signals - Only work with engine NOT running??

Hey Everyone,
I have LED turn signals in the front and back. I've installed the LED flasher module.

With the engine off, and the vehicle in the "ON" position, signals work as they should. Nice consistent blinking, both left & right.

Once I fire the engine up, the signals tweak out and flicker left & right.

The only thing I can think of is when the engine is running, the alternator is putting out above 12V and that is causing it?

Suggestions?

Thanks a ton!
~Phil
Old 06-29-2014, 09:11 AM
Mopar Lover

Received 248 Likes on 241 Posts
I would think it would be the other way around, IE lower voltage would give trouble. Have you actually measured battery voltage?

Here's what I think of LEDs.

They have not been generally properly researched, IE for compatibility, for proper beam pattern and so on

Many are cheapo Chineseo imports that have no interconnection to things such as NHSTA or DOT and IF THEY FAIL and get you into a crash, you might find yourself in a sticky situation.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts
Typically the voltage range an led will operate properly in is nothing less than amazing. I would bet on electrical noise from the ignition or alternator messing with the blinker module. A mechanical voltage reg could be confusing things, or is it solid state? Also, gotta make sure your ground paths are good and tight. I love this stuff, wish I were there to help in person.
Old 09-22-2019, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hckrphil
Hey Everyone,
I have LED turn signals in the front and back. I've installed the LED flasher module.

With the engine off, and the vehicle in the "ON" position, signals work as they should. Nice consistent blinking, both left & right.

Once I fire the engine up, the signals tweak out and flicker left & right.

The only thing I can think of is when the engine is running, the alternator is putting out above 12V and that is causing it?

Suggestions?

Thanks a ton!
~Phil
Phil, I have the exact same issue with my digi-tails. Did you find a way to solve it?

Best Regards, Dan