1986 Dodge D150 5.2L 2WD - Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1986 Dodge D150 5.2L 2WD - Transmission Issues

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 1986 Dodge D150 5.2L.
When I first drove it, I noticed that the shifts were at high RPMs.
Doing some research, I decided to check the throttle rod.
Sure enough, the throttle rod swivel lock screw was completely loose, so I tightened it while pressing the transmission lever forward.
After tightening the screw, the transmission seemed to shift flawlessly.
Currently, the spring on the end of the throttle rod is completely compressed (the bar is as far forward as possible).

Once I did this, it was having carburetor issues, so after tinkering and failing to fix it, I took it to a shop.
They rebuilt the carb, set the timing, put new spark plugs in, replaced the choke thermostat.

Then the transmission started shifting late again.
It shifted consistently, but at late MPH and high RPMs. (1-2 at 25mph, 2-3 at 45mph).
The shift from 1-2 feels normal, but a bit late.
The shift from 2-3 has to be cooerced by letting off the throttle around 45mph, and it's so soft, it's hard to notice.

So, this time, I did a drain and fill.
Not much sludge or big pieces in the pan, just dust, but the fluid was very dark.

That didn't change anything. Still shifting late.
Does this sound like something that could be related to the bands?
I didn't realize I was supposed to adjust those when draining and filling.
If I adjust the kickdown band, but not the low/reverse, could that possibly fix it?

I just can't afford to spend any more money at a shop, if it's something I can fix myself.
I'm able to do a lot of this stuff, but I don't always know the terminology, so any help will be most appreciated.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:06 PM
Mopar Lover

Received 871 Likes on 850 Posts
Shoot us a photo of the set up.... When you hold the throttle wide open "When the engine is off" you should be able to push the rod back 1/8". That it... Then you can tighten and move the shift point a little by tightening the rod..
Not as for the dark fluid after the first oil change.... That the Rod/ Throttle pressure valve was not set rite and burned up the transmission Clutches. So the would mean you need to rebuild the transmission... You can do the if you feel confident enough..
But no... I dont think a band adjustment is going to fix it at this point.

Just my 2 cents
Old 10-24-2019, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by RacerHog
Shoot us a photo of the set up.... When you hold the throttle wide open "When the engine is off" you should be able to push the rod back 1/8". That it... Then you can tighten and move the shift point a little by tightening the rod..
Not as for the dark fluid after the first oil change.... That the Rod/ Throttle pressure valve was not set rite and burned up the transmission Clutches. So the would mean you need to rebuild the transmission... You can do the if you feel confident enough..
But no... I dont think a band adjustment is going to fix it at this point.

Just my 2 cents
Thanks for the insight!
As for a failing clutch, that definitely could be the case, but I thought the transmission would be slipping if so.
There is no slippage that I can feel, only late shifting.
And once I'm in 3rd, it stays in 3rd correctly, even if I drop to say 35-40mph, after which it downshifts correctly and as expected.

The up shifts are consistent, but late in the same exact spot every time, which leads me to believe it's something to do with valve pressure, but I could be totally off.
I'll check more into the clutch.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:06 AM
Mopar Lover

Sounds good.... Wont hurt to adjust the bands or at least check them.... Also the fluid could have been Dark because of what was left in the convertor, so it could take a couple flushed to get it cleared out. and it could be the linkage rod is to tight causing the late shifts...
Just takes a little sourting out. But as long as its moving, thats always a good sign....
Keep us posted...
Old 10-25-2019, 08:43 AM

Sounds good.... Wont hurt to adjust the bands or at least check them.... Also the fluid could have been Dark because of what was left in the convertor, so it could take a couple flushed to get it cleared out. and it could be the linkage rod is to tight causing the late shifts...
Just takes a little sourting out. But as long as its moving, thats always a good sign....
Keep us posted...
So, I noticed that the geometry of the throttle rod was way off.
I took it completely out, and noticed why.

Whoever had this truck before me welded an extra 2" onto the rod.

Now I'm trying to decide whether to find an old one or convert to a cable.
I looked, but can't seem to find one for sale.
Anyone know where I could get one?
Old 10-25-2019, 02:23 PM
Mopar Lover

AS long as you can get the adjustment correct the rod should be ok... Have have seen folks cut out a bend the did not fit the application and weld in a rod...
Old 10-25-2019, 02:50 PM

AS long as you can get the adjustment correct the rod should be ok... Have have seen folks cut out a bend the did not fit the application and weld in a rod...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgCFdGKjtw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZSyOHDm2tU
I tried to kink the rod in order to remove 2" of length from it.
Unfortunately, it broke at the weld joint, so now my truck is completely out of commission.
Oh well, don't know till you try

Instead of searching high and low for a new bar, I think I'm gonna go with a kickdown cable, maybe Lokar.
Have you worked with those any?
Old 10-25-2019, 02:55 PM
Mopar Lover

I have used them before. Should work just fine for you if you do not want to pick up the rod linkage asm... Keep us posted on how you turn out...
Old 10-29-2019, 07:30 AM

I have used them before. Should work just fine for you if you do not want to pick up the rod linkage asm... Keep us posted on how you turn out...
An update:
Well, I installed the Lokar kickdown and throttle cable. Looks nice.
Unfortunately, that didn't solve the problem, so I was leaning toward it needing a rebuild.

I took it to a trans shop and sure enough, a rebuild is in order.
Now, I'm trying to decide whether to have them rebuild with a 1 yr warranty for $1700.
That seems high to me, considering the rebuild kits are <$300, but I'm also no clear on how many hours it should take, so maybe that's normal.

Otherwise, I found a full 727 trans on Craigslist that looks like new old stock for $600 with a 3-year warranty, so maybe I'll go that way.

The other option is burn the truck on a burn pile and curse the day I bought it, but that seems like it wouldn't help my current situation much.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:13 PM
Mopar Lover

Deciding what to do can be challenging at times....
Old 10-30-2019, 07:50 AM

Deciding what to do can be challenging at times....
Thanks again for all your help.
I found someone locally to do a rebuild with replaced TC for $1100.
Also, there's a 12M/12K warranty, so it seems worth it.

I also found out that I have the 904, not the 727.
The following 2 users liked this post by fadedhero:
Iowan (10-30-2019), RacerHog (10-31-2019)